veiled Hic-ups?

Britgold

ok well i just recently got a 2 month old veiled chameleon and well she eats alot which is good and i've never actually seen her drink.. she really seems like she hates water because she can be on the other side of the cage and when she sees me spraying..instant black.. and on top of that she has what looks like the hic-ups? i'm sure it isn't hic-ups but could someone who knows maybe tell me what it is and what i should do about it please?

Thank You

If the "hic-ups" sound like popping, you probably have a URI (upper resperatory infection) on your hands and need to get to a vet. What are the symptoms?

Also, if you are using cold water for her misting, you should probably switch to hot. It comes out of the mister/sprayer nice and warm and chameleons respond much better to that.

thank you for your feedback.. i dont hear a popping noise so hopefully it doesnt turn to any respitory infections.. she does get it when she gets nervous sometimes but still no noise

What do the hic-ups look like then? A chest heaving? I'm curious... and I would keep an eye out. I haven't had a cham with hic-ups before, but maybe someone could shed some light.

just like a little hic-up shake of the head and body.. like really quick puff up and then back to normal

ok well let's just say she does have this respitory problem (hopefully not).. what needs to be done or what should i do?

ive seen my male do this from time to time, more like a super yawn that shakes his body. im curious of why he does this, other than that mine seems healthy as can be.

Brit,

Oh man, haha, this is perfectly normal. lol
It's really funny when they do it.
It's almost like they have epilepsy or something.
Josh is right on this one.
It's a body stretch, a deep breath, then a really big yawn all at the same time.
They usually puff up the gullar region and sake too.

I would worry about it.
Most of my chameleons, especially the males, like to do it first thing in the morning.

Good luck

Just as Justin said, now that you described it it IS totally normal! I was going to say that if it looks like chest heaving (which is how I pictured a cham hic-up:eek:) that may not be such a good thing, but don't worry!

Back
Top Bottom