Veiled- greens how often?

JackP308

Avid Member
my veiled likes fresh mustard greens and other various greens every morning.Keeps him well hydrated ive noticed too. He hates being misted or anything to do with misters and I think he'd rather not drink in front of me. So is there any concern from to much veggie consumption? I noticed when I gave a lot in the mornings the next day his urates were the whitest Ive ever noticed out of any animal of mine but sometimes runny white. The poo was still solid though. I cut back on the veg to harden up the urates which worked, but he's angry without them and wants his greens. If I don't feed them every morning consistently what ever plant he is perched on is getting an early morning munch. its just routine now. So can my veiled get his main hydration or water intake through proper humidity well hydrated gutloaded feeders and variety of lots of veg? Im not going to cut out misting times , just dont seem like he benefits much from them anyways.

How old is your cham? Just wondering I my self have 2, one male and one female but they are only about 4 and 5 months old.

Also I am not a pro but I would think that if your cham is wanting or willing to eat the greens and there are no signs of other problems then I would not think there is any harm in it.

i recently ased the same question about friuts and veggies and most people seemed to belive that veggies were ok but some debate over fruits. idid start a thread called fruits and veggies ( sorry i do not know how to add link to it ) but in that thread another member posted a link to a short article where wild chams were observed eating plant matter. you might like reading it.

He's a 5-6 month old Veiled. I got him from a breeder Total E Chamz at PA reptile show in Nov. He's awesome and Grown quite a bit over the 2months. My only concern was his urate was so runny but that was just because so many greens.

Thanks for the link I was reading that, but nothing really pertained to how often they should be fed certain vegetables that i could find. I read the link about the diets for iguanas in that thread as well.it said mustard greens and collard greens were a good healthy staple diet for iguanas so Id imagine it be ok for my chameleon to eat them everyday with his crickets and worms. If not its going to be my umbrella plant and he sure mows them down.

I feed mine veggies every feeding, so every other day. He'd probably eat them every day and I doubt that'd cause problems. Veggies have lots of good nutrients, which is why they're used for gutloading, so getting the nutrients directly is fine too. Veileds in particular tend to eat veggies readily. This site has good veggie nutritional info. It's geared for iguanas but the same concepts apply: aim for high calcium to phosphorus ratio, minimize oxalates and goitrogens.

I actually just put some greens in his cage while I was thinking about it and he ran over and devoured them already! He likes his veggies :)

what kind of greens do you feed your chams? i got a 7-8 month old veiled and he seems to not want to eat as much crikets as usuall.

I give him Collard greens, and mustard greens so far. He prefers mustard greens from his appetite. I bought some bagged greens and it had a list of all kinds of other products "greens" they sold on back . So I will probably try some other ones soon. Mustard greens dont seem to last long though and they smell terrible when going bad.

I still feed crickets everyday though. Just so that was clear.Some days he shows more interest in others.He Likes to eat greens 1st thing when he wakes up then periodically through the day.

Back
Top Bottom