Veiled female grabing herself

Jingi

Hi!
My female veiled cham, Zuzka, is grabing herself while climbing. I notice it more and more regularly. Just this day, she grabbed her leg with her tail and she couldn´t move!
She looks otherwise healthy to me. Can this be sign of anything? I thought I once red it can be sign of MBD.
Thanks

Grabbing the front leg with the back leg can be a sign of MBD or neurologic problems. I don't know about the tail grabbing the legs.
Are you sure she's been getting enough calcium, UVB and/or Vitamin D3?

Grabbing the front leg with the back leg can be a sign of MBD or neurologic problems. I don't know about the tail grabbing the legs.
Are you sure she's been getting enough calcium, UVB and/or Vitamin D3?
I have been dusting her crickets daily, she has D3 every month, also she is going outside of our house if it´s warm.

As above the how to ask for help form may help others spot a possible problem. Has she laid eggs yet? How old is she?

Fine.
  • Your Chameleon - veiled female, 4 month
  • Handling - Everyday, if she wants come out, she does.
  • Feeding - crickets, 5 to 6 a day,
  • Supplements - Reptivite with D3 and normal calcium every other day.
  • Watering - I spray her cage around 10 times a day for whole spray bottle and I don´t see her drink so often.
  • Fecal Description - It is normal colours and shape. And no parasites yet.
  • History - Got her from a breeder, very nice guy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Made from a closet, and I don´t know exact height etc.
  • Lighting - I honestly don´t know, but I got it from a breeder
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - I don´t know exact humidity as my only way to measure humidity failed, so I need to get a new one. But I try to keep it fairly high.
  • Plants - Fake plants.
  • Placement - It is not near window or door, I would say just enough. And no ventilation.
  • Location - Europe, Czech republic.

Current Problem - Listed above

Last edited:
You need to know if one of the lights is UVB producing and how old the bulb is. Without uvb, if it's not getting enough D3 from either supplements or exposure to UVB from sunlight your chameleon has likely developed MBD. Even if it's getting enough UVB the d3 and vitamin a need to be in balance or the chameleon can develop MBD.
Please post some recent photos of your chameleon so we can see if it has any apparent signs of MBD.

How's your male doing now? Using its tongue?

Last edited:
She is around 4 months old and no eggs yet. I' ll ask what type of bulbs I have and post pics, when i get home from school.
And male, yes. I found out he prefers to hunt his food rather then beeing handfeed + noticed that he does not eat until he is really hungry. While female eats all I give her all the time

Last edited:
She might be laying soon. So she could be in pain is she able to burrow in her vivid at the moment. I hope I helped (y)(y)(y)

She might be laying soon. So she could be in pain is she able to burrow in her vivid at the moment. I hope I helped (y)(y)(y)
I am not going to lie, I have found her multiple times down in her cage. But I always thought it was just her searching for food, since she is always hungry.
I´ll get the pics ASAP

UPDATE:
While I was at school, my mother let both my male and female cham onto free range at same time. Well and she told me they mated. ( her words, I personally I am not sure).. they are 4 months old and from same clutch... :mad:

people really need to have some respect for the creatures they own
I honestly kinda can see why she did it, as I said they become "active" around 5 to 6 months, so she probably didn´t think they´ll do it. (me too, to be honest). But I am still - what word is used to describe being angry and shocked at the same time?

They shouldn't be next to each other or in sight of each other either. I know this is hindsight, but research should be done BEFORE buying an animal to learn these things. The world does not need more veileds. It just bothers me seeing such amazing animals(or any) thrown around like garbage. I know you guys only meant well, I apologize for being rude. It's just ridiculous how many posts you end up seeing on these forums about veileds and poor husbandry.

I know and I am aware of that. I have done my research and I am doing the best I can. One problems are parents that somehow are into animal more crazy into chameleons more than me, without research tho.

Here are some pics of Zuzka. She really hates my phone, so I had to take just few shots.

Attachments

• Zuzka.jpg
    Zuzka.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Zuzka2.jpg
    Zuzka2.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 98
This is an unfortunate situation. You will really have to get her husbandry in perfect shape to support her thru such an early breeding. You will have to be extra careful with her feeding and supplement schedule. You don't want to over feed her and have her make too many eggs but she is still growing.
Do you have a plan for the eggs? She will need a laying bin very soon.

What is your best schedule by experience? How many crickets? I also want to add more plant, are fake plants worth it? Cuz I know veiled like eating plants.
And no, I haven´t decided what to do with eggs

Pregnant veiled are beyond my experience. I know limiting feeding can reduce clutch size. Hopefully someone else can chime in with that info. My best GUESS is that you should hold her to the same amount she was eating as a growing juvenile and not increase it or decrease as you might to limit clutch size in an adult. You will really have to make sure she gets her supplements. Everything she eats has to count towards her nutritional needs. Supplements and good gut load are going to be crucial.
I would go with live plants to better hold your humidity. She can't afford to get dehydrated at this point.

Honestly, you might want to see if someone with more experience could take her off your hands. Not that it's undoable, but being in school and new, jumping into a gravid female is a lot to take on.

Back
Top Bottom