Veiled falling.. I may be just paranoid

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
So I just got my cham today and I wanted to make sure everything is okay..

I was watching him for a while after I put him in his enclosure (at a distance so he didn’t feel scared) and he managed to climb on the top of the screen (I have a glass enclosure) and fell... he did this a few times and I’m worried that he’s going to hurt himself. I’m not too concerned about MBD, he walks normally (as far as I know, like I said, I’m knew). I’m going to add new branches soon because right now he just fell onto the substrate , but I’m adding some it that spot soon and I can’t imagine it would feel good for him to hit a branch.

Anyways I was wondering about other normal behavior for a new cham. I’m guessing he would be exploring his new home and maybe that’s why he is falling. He isn’t eating right now, I offered Him a superworm and he just ran away.

Another thing.. I noticed him gaping at his basking spot. I’d assume it is because of the temp, but I checked it and it’s 85 F. Even thought the pet store recommended 100 0-0
Maybe it wasn’t gaping, but I walked past his enclosure and his mouth was open, but he stopped when I walked closer as he is still pretty jumpy

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male veiled chameleon, 6-9 months old. Got it today :)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I haven’t handled him at all
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I’m planning on feed Dubias and bsfl as a staple
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium without D3 all but one day a week. Alternating between calcium with D3 and a multivitamin the other day
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a MistKing system and mist 3 times a day for 3 minutes and one time for one minute. I also have a dropper. I have not seen him drink yet but I suspect that he did. It was funny, I put the dropper in and he was so interested in it. He kept one eye on it at all times and was slowly inching his way toward the area where it dripped on. I gave him some privacy because he seemed nervous.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Haven’t seen any yet, to any people with bioactive enclosures.. are you able to see the poop or do the cuc clean it first?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
My Local pet store gave me some questionable information that I talked about earlier

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Bioactive 36” x 18” x 24”. I know this is a bit short, but I am planning on making an extension for it when he gets older
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Heat lamp and T8 UVB fixture. I’m going to buy a T5HO soon.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is 85 F and the ambient stays around mid 70s. I measure with a heat gun thingy and I have a stationary hygrometer/thermometer in as well. I also have this temp plug thing because it can get hot in the summer and it turns the heat lamp off when the ambient gets too high.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
30-50% during the day, higher at night. I’m going to get a fogger soon to get the humidity high at night
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have a Pothos, two philodendrons (all cuttings, só small atm) and a money tree that takes up A good amount of space
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
in my bedroom on top of my dresser, I’d say the top is at 6 feet. Not much traffic. Next to windows and a vent across the room from the enclosure.
Location - Where are you geographically located
I live in Minneapolis Minnesota

All looks good except enclosure height, which you are already aware of. BUT...where’s the pics? Don’t hold out on us...we wanna see your new guy!
I didn't get any good ones today, he was hiding and I didn't want to stress him out more than he already is. I'll make sure to get some tomorrow if he is out more

I can’t speak for veileds but my first panther fell a few times before I realized that I had too big of branches for him to hold onto securely. Once I realized he couldn’t grip them good and changed out my husbandry for smaller branches I haven’t had a Cham fall since then. Welcome to the forums and best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom