veiled eggs

gkirb77

Hello again! So Flo laid 61 eggs, 3.5 weeks after we got her, on Jan 22. It has been 3.5 weeks and they all still look good. Just in case you don't remember me from when I was panicking over the egg laying, I have an adult female veiled chameleon. The East Bay Vivarium had a pair of chameleons for 5 days and they think the chameleons are 3-4 years old. Our kids picked the female and we were on our way. Then we went through the whole egg laying drama and now here I am with 61 eggs in an incubator. Flo seems healthy although she acts like she's starving when we feed her. Just in case your wondering, 6-8 large crickets a day and a super worm every other day and I just now saw here eat a leaf of her ficus. My question is, how long before infertile eggs start going bad? Eventually I will have to ask what do I do with 61 baby chameleons but I'm not quite ready to focus on that. And God help me if the whole sperm retention thing I keep reading about happens! Sorry for the ramble but I have become very attached to Flo and her eggs and I do not want to screw this up. Thanks.

Hello again! So Flo laid 61 eggs, 3.5 weeks after we got her, on Jan 22. It has been 3.5 weeks and they all still look good. Just in case you don't remember me from when I was panicking over the egg laying, I have an adult female veiled chameleon. The East Bay Vivarium had a pair of chameleons for 5 days and they think the chameleons are 3-4 years old. Our kids picked the female and we were on our way. Then we went through the whole egg laying drama and now here I am with 61 eggs in an incubator. Flo seems healthy although she acts like she's starving when we feed her. Just in case your wondering, 6-8 large crickets a day and a super worm every other day and I just now saw here eat a leaf of her ficus. My question is, how long before infertile eggs start going bad? Eventually I will have to ask what do I do with 61 baby chameleons but I'm not quite ready to focus on that. And God help me if the whole sperm retention thing I keep reading about happens! Sorry for the ramble but I have become very attached to Flo and her eggs and I do not want to screw this up. Thanks.

I love your thread. That sort of thing could so happen to me. i would give Flo some extra food and a bit of extra calcium. Since you don't know a lot about her before you got her, she may have started the whole egg thing in not the best condition. A bit of liquid calcium might just do the trick. How is everything else, temp,humidity,etc.?
Now on to the eggs, eggs often go bad within a couple weeks, but that is never a sure thing. If there is any chance the eggs are good I would just keep them in the incubator and wait. you still have a way to go before you have to face all those babies, so for now leave the eggs cooking and give Flo what ever she needs. If she may be starting another clutch she will need a bit of extra food and calcium to support them.

JMO, but I will be here to help and back up my opinion.

watch that happen to me , lol!

I agree on the liquid calcium if you can get some (or already have some) give her a little. In my veiled's clutch some eggs began going bad after a few weeks, looking dark and sunken in and some got a little white fuzz (mold) on them. But honestly some continued to fade in the first few months of incubation. I just checked weekly and used a spoon to scoop out all the bad ones and left the rest alone. 1/2 the total eggs went bad the rest stayed white and firm :)

Thanks! You are all the best at making me feel better about all of this stuff!!I'm sure there will be more panicky posts from me...thanks for the patience!!

Back
Top Bottom