Veiled egg care

So I made a post a few days ago about how to care for my pregnant female veiled and got some very helpful answers but now I’m curious on how to care for the eggs. I know some things like I already have Tupperware containers along with a bag of hatchrite but I still have some questions. When should I dig up the eggs? And how should I go about because I don’t want to damage them. How should I space them apart? And when/how much do I add water to the hatchrite?

My cham just laid possibly fertile eggs so im also curious, I did my best diy incubator because I am quarantined and can't go buy supplies.

Hi. I’m not really experienced with fertilized eggs, but I do know just a little. The eggs should be removed carefully within a day or 2 of laying and placed in a hatching medium which has been moistened just a little. When you squeeze it you want it to barely have 1 little drip. Usually people make little indents in the medium to place the eggs so they won’t roll. I don’t recall how long after being laid it’s ok if they are moved/rolled but I do know it isn’t long. If the eggs roll after a certain time the babies inside will die. Most use little shallow Tupperware type containers but I’m not sure if the lid is vented or not. Some just place the egg container in an out of the way place like a closet or anywhere that isn’t cold or has risk of being disturbed. After that, I’m pretty clueless. I’m sure someone else who has knowledge will come along and better advise you. Maybe @kinyonga will be around in a bit.

I put mine in a Tupperware, using the same mixture I used for my laying bin (I know this isn't correct, but like i said, im quarantined) I have been keeping it humid and it is in a dark cupboard that stays at room temp

I put mine in a Tupperware, using the same mixture I used for my laying bin (I know this isn't correct, but like i said, im quarantined) I have been keeping it humid and it is in a dark cupboard that stays at room temp
If you mean you're incubating them in sand...it most likely won't work....it's too hard to keep the sand evenly moist and sand holds water. I have always used the coarse trained vermiculite. (The fine grained vermiculite dries out too easily and unevenly too.) just make it moist enough that when you squeeze a handful of it you can only squeeze out a drip or two of water... @MissSkittles has described it above.
I fill the shoebox sized Tupperware type containers about half full of the moist vermiculite.

People use things such as hatch rite as well...but I haven't so I'll leave it to someone else to talk about that.

For veiled and Panther eggs, I incubate them in a dark place where the temperature is about 74F. The temperature can vary a couple of degrees and it won't hurt.

Mine is a mixture of sand and soil, I've looked for the stuff you mentioned above and no where has it, I plan on ordering some today.

Back
Top Bottom