Veiled crown changed today!

Attachments

• 77A0672F-2DA3-44AA-AE9C-B77959619CAB.jpeg
    77A0672F-2DA3-44AA-AE9C-B77959619CAB.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 7914A71D-2A14-411C-8C4D-E5444EE2895B.jpeg
    7914A71D-2A14-411C-8C4D-E5444EE2895B.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 106
I try to add calcium with D3 twice a month as well but since he is not eating every day it is hard to keep a track what he gets.
every Sunday I switch multivitamins with d3 and then in few days I proceed with regular
I try to add calcium with D3 twice a month as well but since he is not eating every day it is hard to keep a track what he gets.
every Sunday I switch multivitamins with d3 and then in few days I proceed with regular calcium.
MBD is something new. Never been treated before

To correct the MBD you should really see a vet to get liquid calcium gluconate. He should get the same supplements he's getting now a d proper UVB light either from the light on his cage or direct sunlight, well fed insects and proper temperatures as well as the liquid calcium. The liquid calcium would only be given until his bones and muscles, etc are back to full strength. The bend in the arm won't likely go away but if the MBD is corrected at least no further damage should happen.

As for the casque...if it was a burn I would have expected that those little pointed bits would have been burned off...so it might be from the MBD. I'm not a vet and can only give you my opinion about that.

To correct the MBD you should really see a vet to get liquid calcium gluconate. He should get the same supplements he's getting now a d proper UVB light either from the light on his cage or direct sunlight, well fed insects and proper temperatures as well as the liquid calcium. The liquid calcium would only be given until his bones and muscles, etc are back to full strength. The bend in the arm won't likely go away but if the MBD is corrected at least no further damage should happen.

As for the casque...if it was a burn I would have expected that those little pointed bits would have been burned off...so it might be from the MBD. I'm not a vet and can only give you my opinion about that.
Thank you so much. Will look for the vet in she area.

@jannb do you know?
Found Ivan Alfonso. Here is the number 863-207-8004. They do mobile clinic for reptiles and he works in clermont, fl for vet for clinic with cats and dogs. I sent already pics to him and his assistant said will get back to me with quote, since they come to your house and charge hourly.

Thank you everyone. Once I know more and have doctors word will update. Even that Boris is a super grumpy- he is my super grumpy and I wish him all well 😢 I hope I can straighten out all what’s need to be done.

So I scheduled with dr Bruce next Wednesday. That was the earliest I could get in. They charge $50 to see a doctor and around $130 for blood work if needed. Dr Ivan charges to come to the house based on my location $150 plus $200 blood work. So I decided to go with dr.Bruce first and then we will see. Thought to give the updates on prices in case if anyone is interested.

Is there any advice on how to transport my Cham with less stress for him? I am also not sure how I will be able to get him out of the cage since he is a grumpy guy and doesn’t like to be bothered or looked at 😈

Handle your chameleon gently because of the MBD...you don't want it to have more issues.

It's likely easier if you try to get it to transfer to a stick you place in front of it while you put your other hand behind it and encourage it to move forward onto the stick.

Put a branch in a box or plastic container so it can't turn. (I usually use a "y" shaped branch. The container should be big enough that he will be able to fit in comfortably, of course.) i
If it's dark in the container your chameleon will likely sleep and it's will be less stressful for him. Assuming that it will. Be warm enough for him since you live in Florida.

Will do. The clinic said shoe box should be enough but I feel so bad to put him in a shoe box.
by the way the temperature at his basking spot is 78 since I lowered is thinking that he might got burnt. So I would assume it was around 85; and the lowest branch is at 75 ( that is during the day) humidity is about 30during the day.

So we went to vet today. He said there is no signs of MBD. But I asked for blood test anyways. His concerns was more about black spot on his face and crown. He said it might be due to melanin overproduction and his crown is solid and hard so the dent is not due to MBD. He thinks that this is more of a burn, since temperature is lower than he likes to see (he wants91-92, currently 85) he asked if I can add to the dome a second bulb to increase a temperature, this way my Cham won’t need to spend a long time under the bulb trying to warm up. And he asked if I can switch to Acadia 12% from 6%. Tomorrow I will get blood work results.

You said..."So we went to vet today. He said there is no signs of MBD. But I asked for blood test anyways".... Can you post another photo or two of the right elbow/arm please?

You said......"His concerns was more about black spot on his face and crown. He said it might be due to melanin overproduction and his crown is solid and hard so the dent is not due to MBD"...I definitely didn't think the casque/crown was showing signs of MBD. I didn't notice the black mark...but just went back and can see it. That could be a burn...but the part towards the tip of his casque is not a burn IMHO. Anyone else have any comments on it? Am I wrong?

You said..."He thinks that this is more of a burn, since temperature is lower than he likes to see (he wants91-92, currently 85) he asked if I can add to the dome a second bulb to increase a temperature, this way my Cham won’t need to spend a long time under the bulb trying to warm up"...it's recommended that their basking temperatures be kept in the low 80's F. If you make the temperatures that night in the basking area put your hand palm side down inside the cage as close to the light as you can...like right against the screen. If you want to move you hand it's going to burn your chameleon.

You said... "And he asked if I can switch to Acadia 12% from 6%".... Why? If he doesn't have MBD why does he need more UVB?

You said... "Tomorrow I will get blood work results"...that's good. Ask the vet to explain them to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom