Veiled crown changed today!

Alex_Boris

I am attaching the pic of Borises crown. It changed today and not sure if he got burnt or if it is a sign of MBD or something else. Yesterday everything was fine. I mist him multiple timesaver he drank, fed and there were no any signs. Today he got it and have been seating with open mouth a lot. I know they regulate temp like that. But nothing has changed in closure set up. Please help so I can fix the situation as soon as possible. Thank you

Attachments

• C3220C25-6EBE-4B9A-8999-AF07D10C2A57.jpeg
    C3220C25-6EBE-4B9A-8999-AF07D10C2A57.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 4852A0AA-8965-48FE-A966-C2BD548F3F0E.jpeg
    4852A0AA-8965-48FE-A966-C2BD548F3F0E.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 29894DAD-5909-4601-A7C7-5173B42D4A4E.jpeg
    29894DAD-5909-4601-A7C7-5173B42D4A4E.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 126
  • C4B29611-BCAB-4953-B640-4C68C2E1AE0B.jpeg
    C4B29611-BCAB-4953-B640-4C68C2E1AE0B.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 785FE869-6CD2-45AF-B145-5D4EF76508A3.jpeg
    785FE869-6CD2-45AF-B145-5D4EF76508A3.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 127
  • B554BB45-0B2F-4414-B069-9F2A0799CD87.jpeg
    B554BB45-0B2F-4414-B069-9F2A0799CD87.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 1745DDC5-8458-476F-BE2D-E7B9EA9F2820.jpeg
    1745DDC5-8458-476F-BE2D-E7B9EA9F2820.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 141
What are your temperatures?
I am going tomorrow to get a new thermometer. I think mine is broken. I tried to track the tem during the day and it stays at 70. But it can’t be right. When I put my hand in the area between branch and light it is much warmer than 70 for sure. I know that when thermometer worked it was good and the way the branch is located it has closer point and further and I have him for 1,5 years now, never had an issue. So nothing has changed in there and I didn’t put a new bulb ( it is 7 months old) for it to be hotter. But for some reason it seemed that he was hot today 🤷🏼‍♀️

I am going tomorrow to get a new thermometer. I think mine is broken. I tried to track the tem during the day and it stays at 70. But it can’t be right. When I put my hand in the area between branch and light it is much warmer than 70 for sure. I know that when thermometer worked it was good and the way the branch is located it has closer point and further and I have him for 1,5 years now, never had an issue. So nothing has changed in there and I didn’t put a new bulb ( it is 7 months old) for it to be hotter. But for some reason it seemed that he was hot today 🤷🏼‍♀️
Hm I can't think of any reason if nothing in your husbandry has changed. Maybe @Beman can help. Definitely get that new thermometer asap

Hi there. :) I’m not really sure about what has happened to Boris’ casque, but I do see signs that he has metabolic bone disease. In order to fully help you to get things corrected, if you could answer the following as completely as possible, we can better help you and Boris.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there. :) I’m not really sure about what has happened to Boris’ casque, but I do see signs that he has metabolic bone disease. In order to fully help you to get things corrected, if you could answer the following as completely as possible, we can better help you and Boris.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Oh I didn't even realize that, boy do I feel smart🤦‍♀️

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male. 1,5 y.o. Got him from a breeder
  • Handling - Don’t handle him. He is quite a mean boy
  • Feeding -mostly super worms, sometimes crickets. Stopped eating roaches. About 10 pc in a 2-3 days. Fresh veggies : sweet potatoes, carrots and green salad + dry food for crickets / roaches
  • Watering - Have fogger ( not too often) and manually misting every day 2-3 times. He drinks once a 3-5 days from the misting bottle.
  • Fecal Description - I would say a little dehydrated cuz not every droppings have white. But it is a white, not yellow. Haven’t been tested for parasites.
  • History - It is hard to feed him and make sure he eats dusted insects. I dust them but he has them over the time of 2-3 days so may be the calcium and vitamins rubs of the veggies in the cup. He used to eat from the manual feeding and now he is super mad when anyone approaches the cage. He becomes colorful and expands trying to scary . So we try not to bother him and I put insects in the evening while he asleep.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, Xlarge
  • Location - Florida

Hm I can't think of any reason if nothing in your husbandry has changed. Maybe @Beman can help. Definitely get that new thermometer asapi
Hm I can't think of any reason if nothing in your husbandry has changed. Maybe @Beman can help. Definitely get that new thermometer asap
Yes, that’s why I freaked out seeing it yesterday. Cuz I inspect him every day while misting. And for some reason he was hot the whole day, that’s for sure. But I didn’t change any lamps🤷🏼‍♀️ I elevated the heat lamps or now after I saw his crown just to make sure he is a little further.
may be his crown grew??? 😊

• Feeding -mostly super worms, sometimes crickets. Stopped eating roaches. About 10 pc in a 2-3 days. Fresh veggies : sweet potatoes, carrots and green salad + dry food for crickets / roaches
  • Watering - Have fogger ( not too often) and manually misting every day 2-3 times. He drinks once a 3-5 days from the misting bottle.
  • Fecal Description - I would say a little dehydrated cuz not every droppings have white. But it is a white, not yellow. Haven’t been tested for parasites.
  • History - It is hard to feed him and make sure he eats dusted insects. I dust them but he has them over the time of 2-3 days so may be the calcium and vitamins rubs of the veggies in the cup. He used to eat from the manual feeding and now he is super mad when anyone approaches the cage. He becomes colorful and expands trying to scary . So we try not to bother him and I put insects in the evening while he asleep.

Cage Info:
  • Location - Florida

Yes, that’s why I freaked out seeing it yesterday. Cuz I inspect him every day while misting. And for some reason he was hot the whole day, that’s for sure. But I didn’t change any lamps🤷🏼‍♀️ I elevated the heat lamps or now after I saw his crown just to make sure he is a little further.
Well now that I see he has metabolic bone disease, this could be the issue. I cant go over your husbandry right now but I will later if someone else doesn't.

Cage Info:
  • Location - Florida

You did not fill out the supplements or the cage info section. All of which is super important info needed to help.

Cage Info:
  • Location - Florida

HI there if you could fill out the rest of the form please including the part on supplements and then all the cage info section.

Please fill out the rest of the form, I feel this could be MBD or a burn, or a combo of both.

His legs definitely show signs of MBD, so without knowing your supplementation schedule we can’t make any suggestions to help

HI there if you could fill out the rest of the form please including the part on supplements and then all the cage info section.
Omg! I didn’t even realize that i posted it. I was filling it in and got interrupted in the middle. Doing it right now. Thank you

Omg! I didn’t even realize that i posted it. I was filling it in and got interrupted in the middle. Doing it right now. Thank you

Your Chameleon - Veiled, male. 1,5 y.o. Got him from a breeder
Handling - Don’t handle him. He is quite a mean boy
Feeding -mostly super worms, sometimes crickets and hornworms ( didn’t give the last ones for a while, just ordered hornworms, silkworms and some flies) Stopped eating roaches. About 10 worms in a 2-3 days. Fresh veggies : sweet potatoes, carrots and green salad + dry food for crickets / roaches/ worms.
Supplements - Repticalcium without d3 every time when I add insects ; reptivite multi- twice a month.
Watering - Have fogger ( not only few hours at night time) and manually misting every day 2-3 times. He drinks once a 3-5 days from the misting bottle. He literally runs once he sees a stream and thirsty and drinks out of it. And the rest of the time when I mist he hides and doesn’t show interest in drinking
Fecal Description - not every droppings have white part. But it is a white once I see it, not yellow. Haven’t been tested for parasites.
History - It became hard to feed him and make sure he eats freshly dusted insects. I dust them every time I add or refresh them but he has them over the time of 2-3 days so may be the calcium and vitamins rubs of the veggies in the cup and he doesn’t get enough 🤷🏼‍♀️ He used to eat from manual feeding and once he hit about 9 months old he became super grumpy about everything even when anyone approaches the cage. He becomes colorful and expands trying to scary everyone. So we try not to bother him and stress out and I put insects in the evening while he asleep. He never was a nice one from the very beginning, it was really a struggle to take him out of cage, so we don’t bother.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, Xlarge
Lighting Arcadia T5(Updated )plus 5000k for plants linear, heating philips Agro plant 75 w. Schedule 8-8
Temperature - I will get in correct temperature on Thursday. Didn’t have a chance to get off work earlier, so for now, I lowered his basking spot until I get a new thermometer. Overnight we have set house at 70. I had digital thermometer frompet store.
Humidity - Night about 60-70 once humidifier works, day about 20. For the night time im using a curtain that cover three sides completely and half door to help with humidity. Bought from pet store. Came with thermometer.
Plants - 2ferns, 1 devil ivy
Placement - In the spare room, barely traffic, next to the window, vent is in on ether corner from the cage. I would say 2-3 ft between roof and top of the cage
Location - Florida

Current Problem - his crown got burnt or it is MBD or something else.

You can see his basking spot and most of the time he sleeps there too.

Attachments

• FF1E835E-3284-4A5D-9B16-C0A86EC5D933.jpeg
    FF1E835E-3284-4A5D-9B16-C0A86EC5D933.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 71
  • AF0E8981-9274-4A89-923E-DC266D226B5C.jpeg
    AF0E8981-9274-4A89-923E-DC266D226B5C.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 59
  • D16249A4-5CCD-47B6-B4D2-EAB20F3B496D.jpeg
    D16249A4-5CCD-47B6-B4D2-EAB20F3B496D.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 63
Please fill out the rest of the form, I feel this could be MBD or a burn, or a combo of both.

His legs definitely show signs of MBD, so without knowing your supplementation schedule we can’t make any suggestions to help
Sorry, didn’t mean to post half filled form. :/ didn’t even realize it was posted. Thank you for letting me know 🙏🏻

You said..."Supplements - Repticalcium without d3 every time when I add insects ; reptivite multi- twice a month."...so no pho free calcium supplement with D3 twice a month?

Is the MBD something new or was it treated already?

You said..."Supplements - Repticalcium without d3 every time when I add insects ; reptivite multi- twice a month."...so no pho free calcium supplement with D3 twice a month?

Is the MBD something new or was it treated already?
I try to add calcium with D3 twice a month as well but since he is not eating every day it is hard to keep a track what he gets.
every Sunday I switch multivitamins with d3 and then in few days I proceed with regular calcium.

Back
Top Bottom