Veiled Chameleon

Oscars Mom

I have a male Veiled Chameleon. It was my ultimate birthday gift. Got him 12/28/2018. He’s been doing great until the past week. On 1/3/19 he was 68grams He was 103 grams on 2/26/19. Today he’s dropped to 99 grams. He’s not interested in eating. He just shed He’s started going to bottom of enclosure and “digging “ at edge.
His enclosure is 16x16x30. Purchasing the Zoomed ReptiBreeze 24x24x48.
He can see my female beardie who just layer a clutch 2/25/19. Could that be an issue?

Any ideas or suggestions extremely appreciated. I’m worried about my man.

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your Cham. Would you mind copying and pasting this and filling it out being as thorough as possible. That includes brands, watts of bulbs your using, and as well as if you have a linear UVB or Compact bulb. Pictures help tons as well!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I hope some of the more experienced people chime in here, but it sounds like what females do when they need to lay when there's no lay bin. Also, I know they are mostly solitary animals, so seeing your bearded dragon might be a problem too. Again, I'm no expert. So I hope @Brodybreaux25 or @Thehippie can chime in here. :)

Good point! Oscars Mom, have you verified Oscar's sex? If you are unsure please post a pic of his hind legs/feet.

I hope some of the more experienced people chime in here, but it sounds like what females do when they need to lay when there's no lay bin. Also, I know they are mostly solitary animals, so seeing your bearded dragon might be a problem too. Again, I'm no expert. So I hope @Brodybreaux25 or @Thehippie can chime in here. :)
Good point! Are you sure it's a boy? Can you see a spur on the back of his back feet?

As mentioned multiple times above, can’t help you without pictures and the form. As you can see we have multiple members willing to help you, just need a bit more info from you!

Welcome to the forum!

I have a male Veiled Chameleon. It was my ultimate birthday gift. Got him 12/28/2018. He’s been doing great until the past week. On 1/3/19 he was 68grams He was 103 grams on 2/26/19. Today he’s dropped to 99 grams. He’s not interested in eating. He just shed He’s started going to bottom of enclosure and “digging “ at edge.
His enclosure is 16x16x30. Purchasing the Zoomed ReptiBreeze 24x24x48.
He can see my female beardie who just layer a clutch 2/25/19. Could that be an issue?

Any ideas or suggestions extremely appreciated. I’m worried about my man.
Good point! Oscars Mom, have you verified Oscar's sex? If you are unsure please post a pic of his hind legs/feet.

He’s definitely a male with the spurs
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your Cham. Would you mind copying and pasting this and filling it out being as thorough as possible. That includes brands, watts of bulbs your using, and as well as if you have a linear UVB or Compact bulb. Pictures help tons as well!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
********************************************ANSWERS BELOW*******************************************************************************************************************

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon Male. Purchased form Petsmart 12/28/2018 Not sure of age but was 68 grams on 1/3/19. Currently 99 grams 3/10/19. Was 103 grams on 2/26/19.
  • Handling - When cage is open if he climbs out onto open door I give him the option of walking onto my hand. On average every other day. He hangs out on my shoulder when on computer for about an hour
  • Feeding - Feed large crickets from Petsmart Load them with FLUKER's High Calcium cricket Diet & FLUKER's Cricket Quencher calcium fortified. Offer 8-12 every other day with light dusting of calcium 2x a week****NOTE*****Purchased a box of large crickets (250 count) from the Hamburg Reptile Show on 2/23/2019 Put 12 in He tried to eat 2 but spit them out. Left in for full day and then removed them. Cleaned cage, changed substrate , washed water bowls. Waited 24 hours and went to Petsmart and purchased his normal crickets. Ate all 8 . I gave him 12 in on 3/9/19 hasn't eaten any.
  • Supplements - FLUKER's High Calcium cricket Diet & FLUKER's Cricket Quencher calcium fortified. Dust with Zoo Med Repti Calcium. Offer 8- 12 every other day with light dusting of calcium 2x a week
  • Watering - I mist 3-4 times a day. He will walk over while misting and drink
  • Fecal Description -Fecal has been normal White watery Urates with brown feces No smell Lately it's been more Urates than normal
  • History - Purchased a box of large crickets (250 count) from the Hamburg Reptile Show 2/23/19 Put 12 in He tried to eat 2 but spit them out. Left in for full day and then removed them. Cleaned cage, changed substrate , washed water bowls

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze open air cage 16x16x30 Ordered the same but XL 24x24x48 waiting for it to arrive
  • Lighting - ExoTerra fixture with blue bulb for viewing at night Daytime in 2 domed Zoo Med
  • 1st light is Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Self-Ballasted Lamp 120V/60Hz Item #FS-C5M 2nd bulb has no writing on it Was purchased for Petsmart in reptile lighting area Lights go on at approx. 5:30am Off approx. 8:00pm
  • Temperature - Basking is 90+ cage floor is 70 Overnight temp average is 75 . His external skin temp averages 90. Measure with heat gun
  • Humidity - Humidity average's 55 Bottom of cage in a dish with damp Zoo Med New Zealand Sphagnum Moss. Also a water dish with a bubbler. I mist 3-4 times a day. Use a stationary gauge to measure humidity
  • Plants - Artificial Vines & Leaves
  • Placement - Cage is in interior corner of room No vents, fans. Not a high traffic area Top of cage is 51 inches from floor
  • Location -We are in Northern Virginia Nokesville Va to be more precise

Current Problem Oscar is spending more time at cage bottom. Goes into corner and digs into Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut fiber Substrate Hasn't eaten in over 48 hours. Almost completed his shedding. There is a thin layer of the substrate Planning on changing from that to paper towels Was told it's better for Oscar. Thoughts??? His color is darker than usual. Not sure if that is age related, stress, illness?
Since he's been here his cage is in the same location. Have not changed the interior cage ( fake vines& leaves ,water feature , substrate )
He can see my female beardie. She laid her first clutch of eggs on 2/25/19 (unfertilized) Her cage has not changed in relationship to Oscars
Positive he is a male do spur
I'm extremely worried about him Trying to get him into Vet but nothing available until 3/15
Have tried to post pictures Will continue to try.

Cage

Attachments

• C328A966-0B5A-4209-8437-AD2125EC966B.jpeg
    C328A966-0B5A-4209-8437-AD2125EC966B.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 97
The cage looks very arid. I'm glad to see you are buying a bigger enclosure. Please consider live plants as they help a lot with humidity. I would also take that substrate out, you do not have a bio environment. I see potential problems arising from the substrate, such as mold and bacteria.

The cage looks very arid. I'm glad to see you are buying a bigger enclosure. Please consider live plants as they help a lot with humidity. I would also take that substrate out, you do not have a bio environment. I see potential problems arising from the substrate, such as mold and bacteria.

Can you suggest live plants and where I can look to purchase. Thanks

A Ficus or umbrella for the main plant, and a Pothos would be ideal. Check the nurseries near your house as well as the big home improvement stores.

Back
Top Bottom