veiled chameleon

dan1392

Can anyone help me... I'm getting a veiled chameleon on Saturday for the first time iv already got my set up. can anyone give me tips for looking after one?

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Give your chameleon a little time by him/herself in the cage when you first bring it home, this includes yourself and others peeking into the cage. It's tempting to want to handle your new pet and get right up next to the cage but remember they need time to settle. Also if you are getting your chameleon through the mail give it a good 12 or more hours to warm up before offering food, water you can offer right away (misting/dripper). Also make sure everything is set up *before* you bring your chameleon home, the last thing you need is to be running around trying to assemble a cage and furnishings with your cham wedged into a small box.

Also checking out the FAQ and Basic Husbandry in the General discussion is a great resource of Chameleon care knowledge.

I'm a brand new veiled chameleon owner myself, but I've done quite a bit of reading and research. This forum is a great place to learn! From what I have read, most people recommend a 5.0 UVB bulb. The basking bulb can be a regular household lightbulb, but you have to make sure the basking temp is in the right range for your chameleon (it varies by gender, age, and species).

I will say, they are a pretty big commitment in terms of care. So make sure you are prepared for that. Making sure they have the right temps, right food, right humidity levels, etc has been keeping me very busy indeed - but that's not to say that it isn't enjoyable!

Iv gotba 2.0 ubv bulb at the min, is that ok?

That's a bit low. Most would recommend a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb. Also keep in mind that when you shine a UVB bulb threw screen you reduce the efficiency of the UVB meaning the lizard will be getting less UVB. If you used the 2.0 through screen your chameleon would be receiving less than 2% UVB.

And my 2nd light is a natural light, is that ok?

I'm not exactly sure what type of bulb that is but as long as it allows for a basking area of around 80-90 °F you should be ok.

Thanks a lot, I will sort that tomorrow. It is a male only few months old what the right temp he should be at. What should I dust the crickets with an how often?

Thanks a lot, I will sort that tomorrow. It is a male only few months old what the right temp he should be at. What should I dust the crickets with an how often?

All of this info is in the blog I linked you above. Basking in the low 80's and the dusting schedule is near the bottom of my blog with a link with pictures of the supplements you need and where you can but them. Most supplies that you need for a chameleon can not be found at a local pet store.

I don't want to kill the vibe of helping but you wanna know something funny I got my chameleon on a Saturday and I was just like you I was all nervous about having a chameleon and how hard it was going to be but to tell you the truth if you are already asking for tips and seeing what's the best you will do fine I I'd the same but I didn't post I looked all over the internet and guess what I haven't had my chameleon for 2 months now and she already trust me enough to sleep on my shoulder and to come out when I'm near the cage and also around a couple weeks later I got a bearded dragon (note I've never gotten a reptile before and now I love them) and to tell you the truth the bearded dragon is more work than the chameleon

Sorry for the spelling errors not sure if there is any but since I'm on my phone there is a lot

Got our veiled a few months ago, just add light, heat, water, food and branches. They grow like crazy. So far, very little hassle, compared to a cat or dog. Dunno why we didn't get one before now. If I had a choice, we would have a house full of them.

I don't know why but I'm just waiting bro see a picture of your new chameleon I hope you will love it with all your heart and just saying hand feed it a lot or buy tongs and feed it with those that's what I do and if you do that a lot he/she will love you

Everyone meet jagger!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom