Veiled chameleon won't shed

Am3rie

Hello I got Auraxyllon on the 16th of August, he had some she'd spots since we got him but now I'm seeing more around his face, but he won't shed. How long does shedding take? He is spotty more so on his head but is this preshedding? I know they shed in 8 hours, and the guy from Petco said they haven't had any shed but I doubt what they know, they didn't have the proper set up, I didn't even see the uvb light either :( but I'm making sure he's getting uvb from the bulb and the sun. Yesterday I took him with me to shower(humidity) I know not to help but I spray frequently 4+ times a day. I think he is 2 months old.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1518944381.jpg
    Snapchat-1518944381.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Snapchat-1741598781.jpg
    Snapchat-1741598781.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Snapchat-723577021.jpg
    Snapchat-723577021.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 88
he is still very young, I wouldn't be too worried. with the right lighting and humidity and feeding he will shed naturally.

Hello I got Auraxyllon on the 16th of August, he had some she'd spots since we got him but now I'm seeing more around his face, but he won't shed. How long does shedding take? He is spotty more so on his head but is this preshedding? I know they shed in 8 hours, and the guy from Petco said they haven't had any shed but I doubt what they know, they didn't have the proper set up, I didn't even see the uvb light either :( but I'm making sure he's getting uvb from the bulb and the sun. Yesterday I took him with me to shower(humidity) I know not to help but I spray frequently 4+ times a day. I think he is 2 months old.
You should not be exposing him to a shower with you and humidity. They are dry shedders and require a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max. The more stressed they are the less they are going to eat and the less they are going to grow which will cause the sheds to not happen as often. Depending on the UVB being used (if it is a screw in bulb) it may not be correct either. There is such a thing as spraying too much as well.

You should not be exposing him to a shower with you and humidity. They are dry shedders and require a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max. The more stressed they are the less they are going to eat and the less they are going to grow which will cause the sheds to not happen as often. Depending on the UVB being used (if it is a screw in bulb) it may not be correct either. There is such a thing as spraying too much as well.
One of the enthusiast recommended showers so I am very confused. But I won't anymore, the uvb light is not linear but to me he seems to get the proper light, he threw up some mealworms two days ago but I think I over fed him

One of the enthusiast recommended showers so I am very confused. But I won't anymore, the uvb light is not linear but to me he seems to get the proper light, he threw up some mealworms two days ago but I think I over fed him
This is the only thread that I see you have posted... Taking info like that off other threads can negatively impact your chameleon. The shower method is only done to re-hydrate a dehydrated cham. To put them on a plant and have the shower pointed at the wall to bounce water droplets onto the plants. This is never done to produce steam for humidity only for the above reason. Unless you are using a Linear UVB light the chameleon is not getting the proper UVB which leads to MBD. Mealworms should never be fed. They are high in chitin and can cause an impaction.

I highly recommend you start reading through every single module of this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I did not post anything since today yes, iv looked at many forums of enthusiast telling the op to do the shower method. And also about the mealworms, aura likes them and I do gutload them with carrots and potatoes. All I am asking about is do they usually have spotty scales a week before shedding?

I did not post anything since today yes, iv looked at many forums of enthusiast telling the op to do the shower method. And also about the mealworms, aura likes them and I do gutload them with carrots and potatoes. All I am asking about is do they usually have spotty scales a week before shedding?
Mealworms should never be fed to chameleons even if your chameleon likes them. you said yourself the cham threw up the mealworms. The uvb issue needs to be corrected for the good of your chameleon.

Ok then I will not try to help you further since that was all you were asking about. I highly advice you read the info at this link https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And no babies do not shed like that... If the husbandry is correct they will do a very rapid shed over a few hours to 12 hour period.

When they are young thy do not shed that often, When it gets older, if it does not shed properly it could be anything from lighting to nutrition

Back
Top Bottom