Veiled chameleon With dark spot

Matt_W

I have a baby Veiled chameleon Female. That’s in with a baby male Veiled chameleon. She has some kind of spot on it. Some people told me it’s a bruise and others said it’s shedding. What’s your thoughts on it. She is eating and drinking water normally and very active

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 49
Hi and welcome. I’m afraid that looks like a thermal burn. How close can she get to her basking light? What are your temps? Little ones like to screen walk along the top upside down, which is another way they can get burned, so making sure your basking temp is no higher than 80F and raising the lights at least a few inches off the screen is the best way to prevent that. Keeping the distance between lights and highest branches at least 8-9” is another way. That is a large part of her little body, so it’s pretty important she is seen by a good vet and get treatment. If you post some pics of your enclosure, we can maybe see some other things needing improvement.

Hi and welcome. I’m afraid that looks like a thermal burn. How close can she get to her basking light? What are your temps? Little ones like to screen walk along the top upside down, which is another way they can get burned, so making sure your basking temp is no higher than 80F and raising the lights at least a few inches off the screen is the best way to prevent that. Keeping the distance between lights and highest branches at least 8-9” is another way. That is a large part of her little body, so it’s pretty important she is seen by a good vet and get treatment. If you post some pics of your enclosure, we can maybe see some other things needing improvement.
I think she came from the reptile store like that I noticed it when I got her a few weeks ago. They said it was shed. Reptile vets are booked for a week. I seen her walk on the top upside down a few times. the light sits on top of screen cage. I will raise it how many inches should i raise the light UVB is 26 W and the daylight blue reptile bulb is 60 W cage Size 18 x 18 x 24

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Make the soonest appointment with the vet that you can get. If that’s how she was sold to you, that is beyond sad and infuriating.
I‘m sorry to tell you that your current set up is lacking a great deal. Baby chameleons have zero resources to fall back upon, so it’s essential to have all of your husbandry as perfect as possible for them. Since you have a little girl, it’s even more essential that everything be perfect so when the time comes, she won’t have problems laying eggs. I’m more than happy to help you as are probably most of the forum members. To start, I want you to read thru all of the modules here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Then come back and ask whatever questions you have, share the progress you’re making, keep us posted on your little one’s healing and whatever else.

Hey there... You will need to get a different UVB light and fixture... They need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb. The compact bulbs do not work well for them. And the longer they go without the correct UVB lighting the more susceptible they are to infection and decline also MBD.
Might as well get the 24 inch fixture because you will have to upgrade her cage to a 2x2x4ft enclosure.

With the new UVB light you want to raise that up off the cage as well. So you raise the fixture 4 inches off the screen and then you need to hook in vines for her to move around on no higher than 5 inches from the top screen.

You will pull out the coil uvb bulb. Then raise that double dome or get a single dome and raise that at least 2 inches off the top. The 60 watt daylight bulb from the double dome is fine to use... Watch temps should not be any hotter than 78-80 for her. Hotter temps can dehydrate them.

Read through the link @MissSkittles gave you then as your questions here. :)

ok update took the little one to Vet. vet said it's a small little burn nothing needs to be done it will heal on it's own. the light got raised up a few inches. I'm getting a Hydro cage built for the little one's thanks for the help folks

ok update took the little one to Vet. vet said it's a small little burn nothing needs to be done it will heal on it's own. the light got raised up a few inches. I'm getting a Hydro cage built for the little one's thanks for the help folks
I would call them back and get silver sulfadiazine cream for it. It will help it heal and prevent infection. That is not a small burn by any means. And you want to avoid infection happening.

Its my opinion when they are that small they dont even need basking lights if they at least get to 70f air temps some time during the day. Normally its "hey you are a sub adult now, here is your complimentary light bulb".

Its my opinion when they are that small they dont even need basking lights if they at least get to 70f air temps some time during the day. Normally its "hey you are a sub adult now, here is your complimentary light bulb".
House Temp stays at 75. if that is a ok temp i will keep it off

I would call them back and get silver sulfadiazine cream for it. It will help it heal and prevent infection. That is not a small burn by any means. And you want to avoid infection happening.
If the vet says it does not need it then it's fine. end of story

Back
Top Bottom