Veiled Chameleon with closed eyes

Landlord70

I just got a new juvenile veiled chameleon (male 2-3 months old) from a local pet store. I have had it for 2 days so far. It's enclosure (pictured below) is 16x16x30. I am concerned because he is keeping one eye open some times, and other times shutting both eyes during the day. He still eats like normal and stays at the top of his cage. His coloring is a little strange too.

Attachments

• 16564675556507591900595449681250.jpg
    16564675556507591900595449681250.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 16564675852126910293716114509924.jpg
    16564675852126910293716114509924.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 57
If you fill this out someone will help you

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

No mossy vine need real plants. Don't see t5ho for uvb the screw in one is wrong type. The chameleon kit is wrong. But if you fill out what I posted we can tell you what your doing right and what you need to change makes it easier then us just guessing your setup

If you fill this out someone will help you

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful
-Veiled Chameleon. Male. Age not sure, estimated 2-3 months. 2 days in my care.
-Once a day, 5 minutes each session.
-10 small crickets in the morning and dusted with calcium
- Zoo-med calcium powder and Reptivite vitamin powder
-I use a dripper system. Mist 4 times a day due to cage type. 3 minutes each spray. I do not see my chameleon drinking.
-Dark brown fecal matter with white "urine" and some brown-ish liquid around it. Never been tested for parasites
- Bought from a local pet store and it is unknown how well the care was.

-Screen cage 16x16x30 with 2 makeshift solid walls to keep humidity up.
-two light dome lamp 100w compact uvb bulb made by zoo-medium and daylight blue heat light. Lights on at 7:00 am and lights out at 9:00.
-Normal temp 70 degrees, basking temp 85 degrees. Lowest overnight temp 68 degrees. Analog thermometer at bottom of enclosure and digital for basking Temps.
- 50%-65% humidity. Creating levels with coconut shavings and water misting. Humidity sensor to measure
- One wild plant of unknown name. Rest are artificial
- Located next to 2 windows and is 5'6" from floor to top of cage.
-Located in Central Arkansas, US. North america.

For cage the one you got will work for little while. Later you'll need min 2x2x4 cage
Need a t5ho for uvb 5 6 percent
Zoo-med calcium powder without d3 every day but 1 15 on those days give reptivite with d3

Fake plants are health rich cause veiled will eat them so live plants. They also help with humidity there a safe plant list hopefully someone will post for you. Don't want wild plants inless you know it's safe.
I would keep basking around 80 to 82
I fed mine twice a day at that age

Veiled Chameleon. Male. Age not sure, estimated 2-3 months. 2 days in my care.
FEED HIM AS MUCH AS HE WILL EAT IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES AT EACH FEEDING FOR NOW. HE CAN BE FED BSFL, SMALL ROACHES, SMALL SILKWORMS, AND MANY ITHER INSECTS TOO.
MIST OF THEM SHOULD BE DUSTED WITH THE CALCIUM POWDER AT EVERY FEEDING BUT TWO A MONTH WHEN YOU'LL USE THE VITAMIN POWDER.
YOU NEED A SECOND SUPPLEMENT WITH D3 AND PREFORMED VITAMIN A IN IT, TO USE TWICE A MONTH (EVERY TWO WEEKS).
-I use a dripper system. Mist 4 times a day due to cage type. 3 minutes each spray. I do not see my chameleon drinking.
AS LONG AS THE URATES ARE WHITE OR PALE YELLOWISH HE'S GETTING ENOUGH WATER.
-Dark brown fecal matter with white "urine" and some brown-ish liquid around it. Never been tested for parasites

-two light dome lamp 100w compact uvb bulb made by zoo-medium and daylight blue heat light. Lights on at 7:00 am and lights out at 9:00. ITS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU USE THE LONG LINEAR 5.0 TUBE UVB LIGHT AND FOR BASKING A REGULAR INCANDESCENT HOUSEHOLD BULB FOR BASKING. WATTAGE THAT PRODUCES THE PROPER BASKING TEMPERATURE. TWELVE HOURS ON A DAY IS ENOUGH..NO LIGHTS AT NIGHT, OF COURSE.
-Normal temp 70 degrees, basking temp 85 degrees. Lowest overnight temp 68 degrees. Analog thermometer at bottom of enclosure and digital for basking Temps. BASKING TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 80F AT THAT AGE IMHO.
- 50%-65% humidity. Creating levels with coconut shavings and water misting. Humidity sensor to measure I WOULD REMOVE THE COCONUT SHAVINGS.
IT WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW RHE PLANT IS NONTOXIC. DID YOU WASH IT WELL...BOTH SIDES IF THE LEAVES... BEFORE USING IT IN THE CAGE? LIVE PLANTS HELP WITH HUMIDITY AND VEILED CHAMELEONS ARE KNOWN TO MUNCH ON THEM TOO. FAKE ONES CAN LEAD TO IMPACTION.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

For cage the one you got will work for little while. Later you'll need min 2x2x4 cage
Need a t5ho for uvb 5 6 percent
Zoo-med calcium powder without d3 every day but 1 15 on those days give reptivite with d3

Fake plants are health rich cause veiled will eat them so live plants. They also help with humidity there a safe plant list hopefully someone will post for you. Don't want wild plants inless you know it's safe.
I would keep basking around 80 to 82
I fed mine twice a day at that age
Sounds good, I'll get to that proto

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    704 KB · Views: 55
  • Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 61
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 55
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 53
Veiled Chameleon. Male. Age not sure, estimated 2-3 months. 2 days in my care.
FEED HIM AS MUCH AS HE WILL EAT IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES AT EACH FEEDING FOR NOW. HE CAN BE FED BSFL, SMALL ROACHES, SMALL SILKWORMS, AND MANY ITHER INSECTS TOO.
MIST OF THEM SHOULD BE DUSTED WITH THE CALCIUM POWDER AT EVERY FEEDING BUT TWO A MONTH WHEN YOU'LL USE THE VITAMIN POWDER.
YOU NEED A SECOND SUPPLEMENT WITH D3 AND PREFORMED VITAMIN A IN IT, TO USE TWICE A MONTH (EVERY TWO WEEKS).
AS LONG AS THE URATES ARE WHITE OR PALE YELLOWISH HE'S GETTING ENOUGH WATER.

-two light dome lamp 100w compact uvb bulb made by zoo-medium and daylight blue heat light. Lights on at 7:00 am and lights out at 9:00. ITS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU USE THE LONG LINEAR 5.0 TUBE UVB LIGHT AND FOR BASKING A REGULAR INCANDESCENT HOUSEHOLD BULB FOR BASKING. WATTAGE THAT PRODUCES THE PROPER BASKING TEMPERATURE. TWELVE HOURS ON A DAY IS ENOUGH..NO LIGHTS AT NIGHT, OF COURSE.
-Normal temp 70 degrees, basking temp 85 degrees. Lowest overnight temp 68 degrees. Analog thermometer at bottom of enclosure and digital for basking Temps. BASKING TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 80F AT THAT AGE IMHO.
- 50%-65% humidity. Creating levels with coconut shavings and water misting. Humidity sensor to measure I WOULD REMOVE THE COCONUT SHAVINGS.
IT WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW RHE PLANT IS NONTOXIC. DID YOU WASH IT WELL...BOTH SIDES IF THE LEAVES... BEFORE USING IT IN THE CAGE? LIVE PLANTS HELP WITH HUMIDITY AND VEILED CHAMELEONS ARE KNOWN TO MUNCH ON THEM TOO. FAKE ONES CAN LEAD TO IMPACTION.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom