veiled chameleon with bumps on face

Possumsgirl

I have a three year old veiled chameleon who suddenly has two lumps that have appeared. One on his jaw and one on his foreheadthey are not open sores they're just raised bumps. he still acts normal he is eating great moving like normal nothing appears to be wrong except for those lumps popped up overnight. There has been no change in his environment temperature food etc. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20130731_243112_085.jpg
    IMG_20130731_243112_085.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 1,713
The bump on the nose can be an abcess or sinus infection. Please take your chameleon to a vet. I have seen these bumps numerous times on here especially on the Veilds. A vet will probably have to clean out the bump and then you will have to have your chameleon put on an antibiotic. If left untreated it can spread into the eye sockets. I am not sure about the bump on the jaw if it connected or not to the other one.

The bump on the nose can be an abcess or sinus infection. Please take your chameleon to a vet. I have seen these bumps numerous times on here especially on the Veilds. A vet will probably have to clean out the bump and then you will have to have your chameleon put on an antibiotic. If left untreated it can spread into the eye sockets. I am not sure about the bump on the jaw if it connected or not to the other one.

The one on the jaw could be from mouth rot. Make sure they do a culture and sensitivity test. They will usually give you baytril to clean the wound but it does not mean it is the best option for the infection. The abscess can cause osteomyelitis ( infection of the bone) which can be a death scentence to a chameleon.

Do you handle your Cham much? The abscess look fairly mature

Man. Well does anyone know how it happens? I keep him clean an fed so good. He still seems perfectly healthy and happy right now if I didn't see the lumps I wouldn't even b concerned he has no warning signs :(

My cham lives next to my bed I spend hours watching him. They are not old it literally just came up. I feed him by hand he is inches from me they are defiantly new

If they are new and that size you need to go to call a herp vet in your area and tell them you need two abscesses lanced. This is a very agrresive infection seeing as there are two abscesses and they arent small. Be prepared to spend a good 2-300$
This is something that can NOT wait another day.
If you can not afford everything out of pocket talk to your vet about a payment plan.

The one on the jaw could be from mouth rot. Make sure they do a culture and sensitivity test. They will usually give you baytril to clean the wound but it does not mean it is the best option for the infection. The abscess can cause osteomyelitis ( infection of the bone) which can be a death scentence to a chameleon.

Do you handle your Cham much? The abscess look fairly mature

I have never seen mouth rot look like that.

I do not mean it is directly mouth rot but from what I understand mouth rot can cause abscesses in the jaw area because some of the teeth can break off and the infection can spread further down

I do not mean it is directly mouth rot but from what I understand mouth rot can cause abscesses in the jaw area because some of the teeth can break off and the infection can spread further down
yes, there was a Jackson's on here the other day that had mouth rot(but it was clearly visible) and it also had an abcess in its jaw. Mouth rot can be on the inside also, so it might be a good idea for the OP to check the inside of his chameleon's mouth and I am sure his vet will do so anyways.
here is the thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/freaked-out-opinions-115014/

Back
Top Bottom