Veiled chameleon with black coloration

thiago1311

Chameleon Info:
My Chameleon - Vailed Chameleon, 12 months to 14 months i think, the guy from the pet shop where I bought was not sure. I have him since february.

Handling - Every day, he is not aggressive or ever tried to bite, he always comes to me, i never needed force him to come out. He eats in my hand, asks for help when something in his eyes is boring him, he starts scratching his eyes on my fingers, so lovely.

Feeding - He eats something like 7 to 10 mealworms per day.
Something he eats 3 or 4 crickets, he usually doesn't want these crickets, he rarely eats crickets.
He realy hates Cockroach, always runs from it. I don't know what i have so that he eats more.

Supplements - Calcium + D3, Exoterra.
3 times per week

Watering - I'm watering 2 or 3 times per day, with warm water with 3 or 5 minutes each time. I don't have a mist system. There is a fountain water, I never see him drinking, but i think he drink.

Fecal Description - Seems nice to me, but it was never tested for parasites.

History - He really love to eat a leaf from a Portulacaria afra or jade plant as is known, I think it's because this leaf has a lot of stored water. Every day he is on this tree and takes 3 or 4 hours of sun.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass, 60x50x80.

Lighting - Exo terra, Ceramic heat emitter, is a black lamp that don't emit light.
Exo terra, repto glo torpical terrarium lamp with 30% uva and 5% uvb, it's a tube and a Exo terra heat wave.
It's start at 9am or 10am and ends at 9pm or 10pm.

Temperature - Day is 28 - 30 degrees and at night is something like 20-22 degrees. I just have a exo terra thermometer, a standard one not digital.

Humidity - I don't know which levels, i don't have a thermometer for humidity yet. I'm watering the cage 2 or 3 times per day

Plants - The Live plants are maidenhair, a ficus tree and a vine, but i have some fakes too.

Placement - The cage is on the floor, have 5 air vents in the cage.

Location - Lisbon, Portugal.

---

First of all I will start with these blue spots he had on the back of the legs, I did not know what it could be. These spots were already there since about 3 months.
Recently these spots have changed color, got light brown.
So since a few days, has been born a black spots on its scales and I do not know what are.

Some already told me they would be burned, others who might be fungi and another that it might be a knock.

I'll post some pictures and some videos.

Ps. he changed his skin lately.

Image 1 (Blue spots):
rNprTHj.jpg

Image 2 (Black spots):
h4UOxVc.jpg

Image 3 (Black spots).
uYJG2i7.jpg

The first 3 images, except the first which is more than two months, are more or less 1 month old, and the spots are still there.

So yesterday I made a video of him eating a few crickets, and still not had a new black spot that appeared today.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbTL4ARwKA

So today I noticed a new spot, but this spot was born in the light brown spot that was blue before, here is the image i took early:
c0L6OBX.jpg

So if someone can help me, I would be grateful.
If you could give me more advice and tips also help a lot.
and if anyone knows more or less what age he should have I would be really grateful, here's a picture of the entire body:
UwGzpJr.jpg

xoVdbfy.jpg

I will post other videos where he eats, and another with him coming to me for free will.

Eating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg7WhH7UKW0

Walk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__CwTWFvmE

Walk again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myee_32idEw

Thank you.

Hey there! Well I wouldn't know what the black spots are but I'm guessing prolly some fungal thing? I just wanted to give u some advice about your supplementation schedules, calcium w d3 3 times a week ain't right, u should be dusting them with plain calcium daily and calcium w d3 and multivitamin supplements fortnightly. Hope someone with a definite answer on those spots chimes in soon!

Hey there! Well I wouldn't know what the black spots are but I'm guessing prolly some fungal thing? I just wanted to give u some advice about your supplementation schedules, calcium w d3 3 times a week ain't right, u should be dusting them with plain calcium daily and calcium w d3 and multivitamin supplements fortnightly. Hope someone with a definite answer on those spots chimes in soon!

Thank you.

I will see any multivitamin supplements on ebay ;)

If someone have more to tell me go ahead pleasse.

or he could have gotten poked by something in the cage or his screen or just scars from when he was housed with other chams. correct me if im wrong.

or he could have gotten poked by something in the cage or his screen or just scars from when he was housed with other chams. correct me if im wrong.

Maybe can be a burn or a fungus.
He is here since february, and there are no other chams with him.

This is his cage, I put some circles to identify the places he likes best.

Number 1. is the place he sleeps or hides when I spray water, he's there in the pic =D.
Number 2. is another place he loves, he stays all afternoon there.
Number 3. is a place under the heating lamp, he sometimes stays there.
Number 4. is the fountain of water

28XNKDR.jpg

Hi Thiago, my veiled has sometimes got black marks like these from scraping or banging himself on the sticks or vines and they clear up in a week or two. Also, the very small black spots can be caused by a hungry cricket left in the viv trying to take a nibble on your chameleon, I have seen this happen but again the marks go away by themselves. To stop this just make sure no bugs remain in his viv at night time.

I'm sorry I don't know what the blue spots are, but he is a very handsome chameleon and he sounds like he has a lovely temperament. :)

Are those your uvb? and if so, is there plastice in between the bulb and the cage>

If so, uvb doesnt pass through plastic.

Next- you dont have enough foliage in that cage to make him feel safe.

the black marks- could be bruises or scratches, keep an eye on them and if they get worse, see a vet, as it could be a fungus.

also- you realy shouldnt have anything on the floor of that cage. veileds are known for eating stuff they shouldnt.

Is that a ceramic heat emitter? please remove that.

You need a basking bulb for him to stay warm.

please read this, as it will help you get your set up done correctly.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Hi Thiago, my veiled has sometimes got black marks like these from scraping or banging himself on the sticks or vines and they clear up in a week or two. Also, the very small black spots can be caused by a hungry cricket left in the viv trying to take a nibble on your chameleon, I have seen this happen but again the marks go away by themselves. To stop this just make sure no bugs remain in his viv at night time.

I'm sorry I don't know what the blue spots are, but he is a very handsome chameleon and he sounds like he has a lovely temperament. :)

Thank you = D
I never leave crickets or other food inside the cage.
But most of the black spots have disappeared with the change of skin;)
Yes, his temper is quite sympathetic = D

Are those your uvb? and if so, is there plastice in between the bulb and the cage>

If so, uvb doesnt pass through plastic.

Next- you dont have enough foliage in that cage to make him feel safe.

the black marks- could be bruises or scratches, keep an eye on them and if they get worse, see a vet, as it could be a fungus.

also- you realy shouldnt have anything on the floor of that cage. veileds are known for eating stuff they shouldnt.

Is that a ceramic heat emitter? please remove that.

You need a basking bulb for him to stay warm.

please read this, as it will help you get your set up done correctly.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Has no plasticine between the lamp and the cage.

About the foliage, I would have to remove the trunks to put more ficus, I'll see what I can do about it.

The black spots have almost all disappears with the change of skin;)

Why the ceramic heat emitter are not appropriate?
I had two lamp that emitted red light and warmth of Exoterra 100w, but they had crashed

Yes I will read, Thank you!

Has no plasticine between the lamp and the cage.

About the foliage, I would have to remove the trunks to put more ficus, I'll see what I can do about it.

The black spots have almost all disappears with the change of skin;)

Why the ceramic heat emitter are not appropriate?
I had two lamp that emitted red light and warmth of Exoterra 100w, but they had crashed

Yes I will read, Thank you!

Chameleons need basking lights to get warm, not air temperature.

They cannot absorb heat from warm air like mammals can.

No red lights either.

For a basking bulb, just use a regular house bulb.

its just a regular bulb you use in lamps around your house (not the coil kind).

The ceramic emitter is to keep the temperature around 30 degrees, I can not get her out of there.
What I can do is try to put another regular bulb in there and I'll have 3 bulbs inside the cage.

Back
Top Bottom