Veiled Chameleon Uvb Help~

ChameleonSolo

Hi, So I just got a new veiled chameleon and do not understand uvb much because my other reptiles do not require any. Ive had my chameleon for about 2-3 days and need to go out and buy a uvb bulb. What size does it need to be? Is it measured by the wattage like normal heat bulbs? The size of my netted tank is 34.5 long x 19.5 wide and 47 tall. The veiled chameleon itself is a small 2-3 month old healthy male. Please help I want the chameleon to live long! thanks

You can just buy an 18 inch strip bulb. The unfortunate thing is UVB can't be replaced as a regular strip light. It just can't. So from what I know, they're only available at pet stores. I use a Zilla Slimline 18 inch 5.0 UVB I bought at Petco. It was 34.99$ for the bulb And fixture kit. The bulb itself is about 28$. If you end up gettin this fixture, be sure to remove the plastic. UVB rays cannot go through any hard surfaces. I. E. plastic, glass, (wood,metal, obviously). So it had to be on top of the enclosure and there should be an area under the light where you Cham can get close enough to the light to Absorb the rays stronger.

not really but the strip is way way way better.
Get 5.0 thats tropical. DO NOT get 10.0 thats desert uv.
it may cost a little extra but the bulbs last a REALLY long time and sit beautifully on top of cages. Its the best choice in my opinion.

I assume that your other reptiles are meat eaters or nocturnal?

Exposure to the UVB allows the chameleon to produce the D3 so it can use the calcium in its diet.

Back
Top Bottom