Veiled Chameleon Skin Infection (?)

PunkAndRun

This is my first post and I'd like to start by thanking everyone on chamforums for all the help I've gleaned from all of you over the years without contributing myself... this community is without question an AMAZING resource for cham (and really ANY reptile) owners who need sound advice.

I'd like everyone to meet Petey, my 2.5-ish year-old veiled chameleon. Until recently, he's been a happy, mostly grumpy but welcome addition to our family. About 3 months ago, we moved a few hours away (no significant environmental changes except slightly higher humidity) and shortly thereafter he went on hunger strike. Thinking he was just adjusting to the new scenery, I moved his cricket bin and veggie/fruit dish around often to try to find where he wanted it placed.

When he finally began eating again, it was piecemeal compared to his "regular" eating patterns and has been now for about 2 months. He still eats and drinks readily and I watch him to make sure he's doing both, however now he's developed some skin problems that appear to be pretty severe (photos attached). I've moved his lamp a few inches further away (a temp probe placed as close as he can physically get to the light reads 100.6 F [38.1 C], before I moved it further away it was 108.7 F [42.6 C]), out of fear that he may have been burned, but I don't think this is the case.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and has any advice on what I can do to help him until he gets to his vet appointment (1 week from today but he's got 24 hours to improve or I'm taking him to urgent care which has assured me they always have an exotic vet on staff). I've had many reptiles over the years and haven't had any real issues like this yet and I'm very worried for my little buddy!

The first pic is meant to be of his dorsal ridge; the second is his right-hand lateral side... there are two different color changes, one dark and seemingly burned / infected (ridge) and the other lighter, blotchy and less dramatic, albeit very concerning (right side).

Aside from the abnormal colors, his behavior is 100% normal; he's eating, drinking and moving normally.

The third photo is his 4.5-foot-tall enclosure before I moved the light further away, though it's only about 2" higher up now and he's ALWAYS under it because I think the new temp is too low. Also, there's a shrub in the bottom normally, I just took it out because he hasn't climbed on it since we moved and it prefers more light and was looking cruddy.

Attachments

• WP_20150318_001.jpg
    WP_20150318_001.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,352
  • WP_20150318_002.jpg
    WP_20150318_002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 476
  • WP_20150318_003.jpg
    WP_20150318_003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 457
That looks like a severe burn for sure. I would get him to the urgent care right away and not wait a week. They should give you some type of topical crème such as Silver Sulfadiazine. You cannot get it over the counter, only by prescription as far as I know. He may also be put on antibiotics to prevent infection. 108 is pretty darn hot. Think of us sitting under the sun like that. We would get burned too.

I agree, 108 is hot but I want to be clear, the only way to be at that temp would be if he hung upside down directly under the light (which I've never seen). The hottest his favorite (and most light-adjacent) perch ever got was right around 100 F, and it's been that way his whole life. And we are going to the urgent care first thing tomorrow, I hate seeing him look like this!

Even 100 is hot, but if it has been like that all along it would be odd to all of the sudden get burned. I had a Sambava that I took in awhile back. Basking area was the same temp as always and after about a year or so, he got small burn marks on the tops of his arms just like yours. Nothing as severe as your chameleon, but I thought it was strange as everything always stayed the same. What I figured out was he was getting old and less mobile and was spending a lot of time under the light as he just didn't move from place to place much. I put the Sulfadiazine on the affected areas and it cleared up over time. They don't heal very quickly, so do not expect instant results. Have you notice him basking more than usual? They get thermal burns which are equivalent to us getting a sunburn. I have seen many burns on here over the years, and his spine is classic of a burn.

I agree, 108 is hot but I want to be clear, the only way to be at that temp would be if he hung upside down directly under the light (which I've never seen). The hottest his favorite (and most light-adjacent) perch ever got was right around 100 F, and it's been that way his whole life. And we are going to the urgent care first thing tomorrow, I hate seeing him look like this!

Carol's right...that is a significant burn and will take quite a while to heal. Maybe he spent more time directly under the basking light when the room was cooler than usual. Burns happen from a combination of temp and accumulated time under it. Depending on how deep the damage goes you may see him shed his spikes and show scarring. The main thing is to prevent secondary infections. The treatment she described is spot on. Good luck!

Just leaving the vet now and she said it doesn't appear to be a burn under the scope (which surprised me because it sure looks like a burn). They're doing cultures for bacterial and fungal infections and I've got some internal and external meds for him, as well as burn cream as a precaution. We'll be using his Wednesday appointment as a follow-up and to review the results of the cultures.

Thank you so much for the advice!

go to a vet and move the spotlight higher up where he can not get right next to it, where ever he can get, if you burn yourself there then it is too close to the cage

I am curious what would determine a burn under the scope? I mean is there something that shows up from a scraping?. Of course there can be infection now, but I still say a burn caused the initial damage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I would say its a burn based on speed of appearance. If i got it right you found him like that one day, and the day before he was fine.
If an infection spread that quickly i doubt it would have just stopped like that.

Well Petey is doing much better, the antibiotics and cream have made quite a difference. He's starting to shed in the affected areas, and the layer underneath looks much better. I'll have some photos up eventually, I'm at work now and leaving for a trip so I don't know if I'll have time to get them up today.

As for why she said it didn't look like a burn, I'm with the popular vote on this one: likely a burn that was infected. At any rate I'm glad he's doing better for sure and thank you to everyone for the advice!

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I've lowered his branch a few inches and put up a hook to hang his light on so I have more flexibility in temperature control. His light was sitting on top of a wire "stand" before so he couldn't physically touch it through the cage.

Back
Top Bottom