Veiled chameleon & pregnancy

IMHO it's never a disadvantages I have a laybin in the cage. That way she always has a place to lay eggs and you don't have to worry about it so much.
This is what I will most likely do. Couldn’t I just get one of those really big plastic coffee containers and fill it with semi moist dirt. I just wanted to make sure she didn’t get egg bound from me not noticing that she was pregnant. Also i was really hoping to find out her age.

Smallest I would use is 10" X 10" by 8" ....but bigger is better. A rectangular waste. Basket usually works well.

It's hard to guess their age...it depends a lot on how well they eat when young and even genetics.
I don't think she's any more than 5 or 6 months.

Just some cage comments here, but you need to remove and replace all fake plants and fake vines with leaves on them with veiled-tested chameleon-safe plants. Adding more branches of multiple species and diameters and having more plants and vines throughout the cage, but especially in the upper portion of the cage, along with near the laybin (once you add it), would be great! Here's a plant list, along with 2 plant charts and a laybin chart, and let me know if you want any cage set-up links, as well!
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Attachments

• Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    Petr Necas Plant List.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Lay Bin Chart.jpeg
    Lay Bin Chart.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 84
@MissSkittles and @AmandaS Can yall post pics of the stages of color with your females and tips on the lay bin. :)
Sure.
Stella is my best model.
Baseline adult - colors are rather dull. Before her first clutch, she was solid green.
9533D180-D8FC-4D86-BB89-FD9F806CA07A.jpeg
Receptive…restlessly climbing everywhere and colors bright (she was peeking at my male)
AB559047-57EF-428E-9B22-0AC76C025F23.jpeg
Also receptive, but no male to peek at. Still very restless.
07582116-BA30-40A5-9A7B-4EFDDE7F3710.jpeg
Gravid. Her colors have darkened and dots more pronounced. Hard to see, but she did have a few egg lumps near her back end.
73A61305-63FC-4971-A167-387D9B7F8E89.jpeg

I’ve found my ladies prefer larger lay bins of around 13x13” long/wide and I fill to about 6-7” with play sand that is moistened throughout so that it will hold a tunnel without collapsing. Stella tends to dig down a bit and then across, and I need to be diligent to ensure proper moisture to prevent tunnel collapse. It did happen once and I dug her out. Thankfully she returned to her task the next day. I do drill a few tiny drainage holes in the bottom of the bin so excess water can drain. They prefer to lay against things, either the side of the bin or plant roots.
When I feel they are getting close to laying, I tack up my cover sheet to the side in advance so it’s easier to just pull across and clip in place. I have also just put it up covering the lower half of the enclosure when I know the time is very near.

For comparison, this is my other girl, Grumpy. Her colors aren’t as pronounced and changes are more subtle.
Before her first laying. Still has her ‘baby’ greens.
7A6927AF-9D7D-426A-9E60-11EB2E3BE077.jpeg
Fully receptive. Super restless and has her pretty colors on.
42513628-8786-4FF6-8423-5ED577467D1B.jpeg
Gravid. Changes are subtle and her dots are darker and more pronounced.
93CCB235-793E-46D6-9A4E-C851A33B0135.jpeg
** Yes, those are fake plants. I was a brand new keeper and didn’t know any better. They were all replaced with real once I learned.

Just some cage comments here, but you need to remove and replace all fake plants and fake vines with leaves on them with veiled-tested chameleon-safe plants. Adding more branches of multiple species and diameters and having more plants and vines throughout the cage, but especially in the upper portion of the cage, along with near the laybin (once you add it), would be great! Here's a plant list, along with 2 plant charts and a laybin chart, and let me know if you want any cage set-up links, as well!
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Yes there is only just a few fake plant on the side walls bc I’m trying to get more starts from my pothos and mainly my wandering Jew. Once I get my wandering Jew growing really well that what I will have in both of my cages. My veiled is a newer addition to the family so she still has some fake plants that was left from my Jackson’s old enclosure. I also need to upgrade her enclosure to the xl as I did for my Jackson and go to live plants only like his cage. Her cage ( my veiled) is still a work in progress until I make and upgrade to the xl. But surprisingly enough she doesn’t really munch on the plants to much like she used to. I see a bite mark every once in a while on the pothos. I will definitely do an update on the new enclosure when I buy it and decorate. Also on a side note it’s very embarrassing but she doesn’t even have a name if anyone has any ideas im open to them. 😂😅

For comparison, this is my other girl, Grumpy. Her colors aren’t as pronounced and changes are more subtle.
Before her first laying. Still has her ‘baby’ greens.
View attachment 303528
Fully receptive. Super restless and has her pretty colors on.
View attachment 303529
Gravid. Changes are subtle and her dots are darker and more pronounced.
View attachment 303530
** Yes, those are fake plants. I was a brand new keeper and didn’t know any better. They were all replaced with real once I learned.
Lolol! I had the very same fake vine but I took it out for a different one. Her enclosure is such an embarrassment compared to my Jackson’s bc she is in a smaller 18x18x36 with some fake plants on the side bc it was my Jackson’s old enclosure. 😬😅

Sure.
Stella is my best model.
Baseline adult - colors are rather dull. Before her first clutch, she was solid green.
View attachment 303520
Receptive…restlessly climbing everywhere and colors bright (she was peeking at my male)
View attachment 303521
Also receptive, but no male to peek at. Still very restless.
View attachment 303524
Gravid. Her colors have darkened and dots more pronounced. Hard to see, but she did have a few egg lumps near her back end.
View attachment 303523

I’ve found my ladies prefer larger lay bins of around 13x13” long/wide and I fill to about 6-7” with play sand that is moistened throughout so that it will hold a tunnel without collapsing. Stella tends to dig down a bit and then across, and I need to be diligent to ensure proper moisture to prevent tunnel collapse. It did happen once and I dug her out. Thankfully she returned to her task the next day. I do drill a few tiny drainage holes in the bottom of the bin so excess water can drain. They prefer to lay against things, either the side of the bin or plant roots.
When I feel they are getting close to laying, I tack up my cover sheet to the side in advance so it’s easier to just pull across and clip in place. I have also just put it up covering the lower half of the enclosure when I know the time is very near.
Thanks for the advice and I must say she is beautiful! When do they start to get their adult colors?

Thanks for the advice and I must say she is beautiful! When do they start to get their adult colors?
You’re welcome! I’ve no idea how old either of my girls were when I got them, but my best guess is they were at least 6-7 months old when they colored up and became receptive for the first time. For the most part, they show some colors all the time now with differences in vibrancy depending on their reproductive cycle...and of course how irritated they are with me.

Back
Top Bottom