Veiled chameleon not eating.

My veiled chameleon just hit six months old, she has never laid any eggs, and usually loves food. For four days now she hasn't eaten, and I'm wondering if there is something I can do or try.

To add on: i am not sure if this goes with egg laying behavior, but she often sits with her rear end in the air, more raised than usual.

Please post some photos of the cage and of her.
How much have you been feeding her each week up until she's stopped eating now?

I don't want to look through a lot of posts to find this information...so...What supplements do you use and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in calcium, phos, D3 and they type of vitamin A. What UVB bulb do you use? Long linear tube light or compact?

Also: her lay bin is at the bottom of her enclosure, and she is barely down there. she would way rather be on her sticks. I am wondering how she would know to go there to lay her eggs, or if she would randomly just lay them somewhere... (Sorry for all the questions.)

Please post some photos of the cage and of her.
How much have you been feeding her each week up until she's stopped eating now?

I don't want to look through a lot of posts to find this information...so...What supplements do you use and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in calcium, phos, D3 and they type of vitamin A. What UVB bulb do you use? Long linear tube light or compact?
Chameleon Info:

•Feeding - Right now I am feeding my cham six large crickets, and a few super worms for more of like treats.

•Supplements - I use calcium weekly (six times a week), I use D3 calcium, and I use multi vitamin, I alternative between those two supplements every other week. I use “Zoo Med Repti Calcium Without D3” “Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin and Mineral Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement” and I use “Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3”

Cage Info:

•Cage Type - Reptile Habitat Screen Cage - Open Air Screen Cage Reptile Terrarium Aluminum Screen Habitat, 17.7 x 17.7 x 31.5

•Lighting - I use a Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium Hood 24 Inch, I keep it on for about 12 hours a day.

And here are some photos of her terrarium and her

1CC3532E-818D-4D96-A834-12BDBFEF4C77.jpeg
57CF5509-A255-4190-822C-B5245287D8A5.jpeg
523CCFE1-B2F3-410E-A90E-7FC1C34FAF3A.jpeg
9334AC1C-632D-42F1-880E-20AF6E4E159C.jpeg

You said..."Feeding - Right now I am feeding my cham six large crickets, and a few super worms for more of like treats"....per week...right?

She might like moist sand in the lay bin more than soil.

She looks good and could be making eggs.

What is the purple light for? If its for night time, they don’t need heat at night unless it’s colder than in the 50s I think. I’m not sure how cold they get at night in the wild but everyone says they can stand about the same as Jackson’s which I have and he wouldn’t need heat unless the temps got down to maybe the 50s or lower. She also should have a larger cage like 24x24x48 is the minimum cage size for them. You’ll need to remove all the rope and hammock because they get their toenails caught in them and can pull their nails out. The lay bin needs to be in the bottom of the cage because that’s where she’ll instinctively go when she needs to lay her eggs. Like Kinyonga said she would probably prefer moist sand to lay her eggs in.

Last edited:
You said..."Feeding - Right now I am feeding my cham six large crickets, and a few super worms for more of like treats"....per week...right?

She might like moist sand in the lay bin more than soil.

She looks good and could be making eggs.
i will try the sand. How much should i be feeding her at six months?

heat lamp.
What is the purple light for? If its for night time, they don’t need heat at night unless it’s colder than in the 50s I think. I’m not sure how cold they get at night in the wild but everyone says they can stand about the same as Jackson’s which I have and he wouldn’t need heat unless the temps got down to maybe the 50s or lower. She also should have a larger cage like 24x24x48 is the minimum cage size for them. You’ll need to remove all the rope and hammock because they get their toenails caught in them and can pull their nails out. The lay bin needs to be in the bottom of the cage because that’s where she’ll instinctively go when she needs to lay her eggs. Like Kinyonga said she would probably prefer moist sand to lay her eggs in.
i only use it during the day, it’s a heat lamp.

Ok but like I said she doesn’t need heat at night. For daytime you need a basking light. You can use a 60 watt incandescent bulb or the same in a halogen bulb but make sure the basking temp doesn’t get over 85. You’ll need a temp gage with a probe you can zip tie to her basking spot and make sure it doesn’t go over 85 degrees. I’m not sure if halogens burn hotter than incandescent. The bulb needs to be 8-9 inches above her basking spot just like her uvb bulb needs to be.

Ok but like I said she doesn’t need heat at night. For daytime you need a basking light. You can use a 60 watt incandescent bulb or the same in a halogen bulb but make sure the basking temp doesn’t get over 85. You’ll need a temp gage with a probe you can zip tie to her basking spot and make sure it doesn’t go over 85 degrees. I’m not sure if halogens burn hotter than incandescent. The bulb needs to be 8-9 inches above her basking spot just like her uvb bulb needs to be.
i turn ur off at night. and i will get a new bulb for during the day, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom