Veiled Chameleon Laid First Egg

gabialv

My veiled chameleon is a little over 2 years old and she just laid her first egg. I kind of knew it was coming because I had googled why she was on the ground of her enclosure scratching so much. I now know that she was trying to dig to lay the egg. I am not concerned that she DID lay an egg but I'm concerned that it was only one, as I have read that the clutch is usually much larger. I am just worried that she may be egg bound and I'm not sure what to do. Also, how do I know if the egg is fertile or infertile? I have provided her a container of moist soil to dig in now that I know what's going on. She hasn't been eating her live crickets but she was drinking a lot of water today. I'm not sure if it's because she is ready to lay more eggs or if she really is egg bound.

My veiled chameleon is a little over 2 years old and she just laid her first egg. I kind of knew it was coming because I had googled why she was on the ground of her enclosure scratching so much. I now know that she was trying to dig to lay the egg. I am not concerned that she DID lay an egg but I'm concerned that it was only one, as I have read that the clutch is usually much larger. I am just worried that she may be egg bound and I'm not sure what to do. Also, how do I know if the egg is fertile or infertile? I have provided her a container of moist soil to dig in now that I know what's going on. She hasn't been eating her live crickets but she was drinking a lot of water today. I'm not sure if it's because she is ready to lay more eggs or if she really is egg bound.
Well she’s 100% full if egss still if she got just one egg out. Its impossible for cham to have just one egg in her. They are fertile only if you had a male with her to breed them. If she didnt mate, they are not fertile.

If they don’t have absolute privacy, they won’t lay. Cover just the visible parts of your enclosure tonight and hopefully in the morning she’ll find her lay bin and get to work. It’s not good that she dropped just one egg. If she doesn’t use the lay bin, she’ll need to be seen by an experienced vet ASAP.

Do not let her see you watching her when she's digging.

Make sure the substrate is moist enough to hold a tunnel (but no wetter than that.)

She may dig several holes but should settle in one and dig it until she's happy with it or she may just dig one. She may even sleep in the hole overnight. She should then turn around butt down in the hole and lay the eggs all at once, fill he hole in and return to the branches.

If she doesn't lay them and becomes lethargic, sleeps during the day, etc she will need to see a vet ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom