Veiled chameleon colors

Hippiebabe

So are veiled’s colors and patterns predetermined or will him growing up with certain plant colors around him change how he develops? This is my Mojo-Jojo currently. I just adopted him and was told he’s around 2 years old

Attachments

• B5718F51-2B0D-4F5B-91CD-38EB05513061.jpeg
    B5718F51-2B0D-4F5B-91CD-38EB05513061.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 89
  • F95FE4A7-CD47-4427-AFDA-A3A52D27696C.jpeg
    F95FE4A7-CD47-4427-AFDA-A3A52D27696C.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 74
  • EB7D7BC9-12A4-4094-919B-2B94946CC9B4.jpeg
    EB7D7BC9-12A4-4094-919B-2B94946CC9B4.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 67C6305A-2922-4519-A189-89293B0B4AEB.jpeg
    67C6305A-2922-4519-A189-89293B0B4AEB.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 79
His pattern is his pattern. The colors are going to depend on if he is calm resting colors, basking, or pissed off. They change color based off mood and environmental changes and they will not ever change to match the environment around him...

example...
Resting colors: More muted and duller still showing pattern.

2-3-21_1.jpg

Basking colors: still showing pattern but can go brownish especially when they are younger.

Beman8-13-20_2.jpg

And pissed: this is when they fully fire up. Can be over their territory, a change in environment, or seeing another cham. This can very in color shades of yellows, oranges, teals, and greens, and almost always includes striking dot patterns.

7-26-20_1.jpg Angry 6-30-20.jpg Beman9-19-21_1.jpg

His pattern is his pattern. The colors are going to depend on if he is calm resting colors, basking, or pissed off. They change color based off mood and environmental changes and they will not ever change to match the environment around him...

example...
Resting colors: More muted and duller still showing pattern.

View attachment 318878

Basking colors: still showing pattern but can go brownish especially when they are younger.

View attachment 318873

And pissed: this is when they fully fire up. Can be over their territory, a change in environment, or seeing another cham. This can very in color shades of yellows, oranges, teals, and greens, and almost always includes striking dot patterns.

View attachment 318874View attachment 318875View attachment 318876
So he won’t develop more colors or more to his pattern as he ages?

So he won’t develop more colors or more to his pattern as he ages?
At 2 years old he has fully matured. There will not be any drastic changes other than those related to what I mentioned above. All of the pics up there that I posted are of the exact same chameleon after he reached 2 years old. Same cham different coloring based on external stimuli.

So are veiled’s colors and patterns predetermined or will him growing up with certain plant colors around him change how he develops? This is my Mojo-Jojo currently. I just adopted him and was told he’s around 2 years old
Plant colors have nothing to do with it; it's all genetic. By this age, the colors he is capable of producing are likely set, though some may rarely be seen.

At 2 years old he has fully matured. There will not be any drastic changes other than those related to what I mentioned above. All of the pics up there that I posted are of the exact same chameleon after he reached 2 years old. Same cham different coloring based on external stimuli.
Well said .. great post..

There is some research into raising veiled chameleons in isolation compared to with their siblings. With the conclusion that those raised alone showing duller & darker colours compared to those raised in a social group developing more vivid colours as well as better foraging skills Its thought to be because they develop a social hierarchy & communication through their colours.
Veiled chameleons tend to be sold much younger than other species not having developed their full potential in colour

https://www.researchgate.net/public...nce_of_juvenile_lizards_Chamaeleo_calyptratus

There is some research into raising veiled chameleons in isolation compared to with their siblings. With the conclusion that those raised alone showing duller & darker colours compared to those raised in a social group developing more vivid colours as well as better foraging skills Its thought to be because they develop a social hierarchy & communication through their colours.
Huh. Interesting. Reminds me of Bearded Dragons' ability to learn by watching other beardies. Not saying it's the same thing—IDK. Beardies are solitary in the wild, but can learn from each other in captivity.
https://www.livescience.com/48165-bearded-dragons-imitation.html

Veiled chameleons tend to be sold much younger than other species not having developed their full potential in colour
Huh... again. How much younger? Before getting my panther, what I was reading (including here on CF recommended 3 mo. for any of the "Big 3".

Huh. Interesting. Reminds me of Bearded Dragons' ability to learn by watching other beardies. Not saying it's the same thing—IDK. Beardies are solitary in the wild, but can learn from each other in captivity.
https://www.livescience.com/48165-bearded-dragons-imitation.html

Huh... again. How much younger? Before getting my panther, what I was reading (including here on CF recommended 3 mo. for any of the "Big 3".

Veiled are more readily available as hatchlings for sure not from reputable breeders.

I seen beardies learning by video on secret life if pets 😯

https://www.researchgate.net/public...nce_of_juvenile_lizards_Chamaeleo_calyptratus
I’ll have to read the article, but something doesn’t sound right. Colour is a genetically determined trait. I’m sure exposure to harsh sun can cause sunburn like in us, but group raising seems an unlikely candidate for exerting any influence on chromatophores. Just my initial thoughts; I’ll read the article.

I’ll have to read the article, but something doesn’t sound right. Colour is a genetically determined trait. I’m sure exposure to harsh sun can cause sunburn like in us, but group raising seems an unlikely candidate for exerting any influence on chromatophores. Just my initial thoughts; I’ll read the article.
I didn't read it (post #8) as different colors as much as the display/expression of colors.
I'm not saying that right. :unsure:

E.g. Dark red, red, light red, vivid red...

Colour maybe determined but the learning to use the colour range might be what's different

Colour maybe determined but the learning to use the colour range might be what's different
Meh.... I have had multiple Veileds... They all fired up over different triggers. And the patterns and color ranges that they displayed were different. But to your point. My boy that was separated from clutch mates by the breeder at a young age fired up the most out of all three. In fact for him it did not take much at all for him to fully fire up.
Now my other two both Petco boys who were obviously raised with others for a 4 month period of time before I got them always were less effected by external stimuli and rarely fired up.

I didn't read it (post #8) as different colors as much as the display/expression of colors.
I'm not saying that right. :unsure:

E.g. Dark red, red, light red, vivid red...
Yup! Individually raised chameleons don’t flash those stress out colours as often…. Also, now that I looked at it, I recognize the relevant paper. It was given pretty poor reviews from the scientific and expert community. It’s great that literature was cited, but unfortunately, this particular paper was kind of an empirical mess.

Back
Top Bottom