Veiled Chameleon color

Jbennaim

My chameleon is maybe like 6 or 7 months now and I’m wondering what his regular color should be when he’s in his enclosure because from what I understood the darker he is the more stressed he is or he’s not warm enough my chameleon is usually a more darker green with very feint black stripes and his temps are always around 85-90

Attachments

• 14A1A019-89C1-4286-834E-843A5E416FAD.jpeg
    14A1A019-89C1-4286-834E-843A5E416FAD.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 171
My chameleon is maybe like 6 or 7 months now and I’m wondering what his regular color should be when he’s in his enclosure because from what I understood the darker he is the more stressed he is or he’s not warm enough my chameleon is usually a more darker green with very feint black stripes and his temps are always around 85-90
There are different color morphs imo for veileds. Take him outside for real UVB and I guarantee you will see a dramatic change in color.
20190407_053808.jpg

I usually take him out and he turns that color but when I put him pack he turns to the other color he always has but I wanted to know if it’s normal
The same happened to mine, I've noticed he turned to his happy colors more often once his enclosure got a lot of plants... Basically only visible area is his basking spot. I put a palm, pothos, fig, and aralia. He was instantly drawn to the palm and the hiding spot it provided. So giving you my experince, how saturated is his cage with plants?

Normal. They will adjust their color for a lot of different reasons. Temperature, mood, stress level all can effect what color they show. If they are cold or are actively basking they might be darker to absorb more heat. If they are warm enough but still basking they might lighten up.

Natural sunlight does bring out the best in their coloring though. Nothing beats natural UVB if you can get them outside a few times per week.

Below is a older photo of Kyle at 1.5yrs/old relaxed and basking. Second photo is him a few months ago showing his pissed/ defensive colors.
IMG_20171117_115053_814.jpg
IMG_20180603_112010_463.jpg

The same happened to mine, I've noticed he turned to his happy colors more often once his enclosure got a lot of plants... Basically only visible area is his basking spot. I put a palm, pothos, fig, and aralia. He was instantly drawn to the palm and the hiding spot it provided. So giving you my experince, how saturated is his cage with plants?
It’s pretty well hidden but he’s really drawn to the tube I have in the cage because of the automatic mister he always stays up there although I am getting him a bigger cage because he’s grown out of it so I’ll try and do a completely different style and see how that goes

Back
Top Bottom