Veiled Chameleon closing eyes

BCboom

I have had my baby male veiled chameleon for 1 month now, and today he has been closing his eyes. I'm not sure what to do and help is appreciated.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Baby Male veiled chameleon, have had him for one month now
  • Handling - Handle him every few days for about 5 minutes
  • Feeding - I feed him 8-12 insects everyday, mix between crickets and mealworms
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 every feeding and I use d3 once every two weeks
  • Watering - I mist him 3 times a day for about 2 minutes
  • Fecal Description - Feces seems normal, urine part is white
  • History - had him for 1 month

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen Mesh 16" L X 16" W X 30" H
  • Lighting - I use the dome fixture that came in the chameleon kit, I know the uvb is wrong and plan on getting a t5 as soon as I can
  • Temperature - Cage temp is about 68-70 and basking spot is about 80-85
  • Humidity - Misted 3 times a day, when lights are turned on and off and in between
  • Plants - I use a golden pothos and a tropical plant
  • Placement - The cage is in my room on a small bookshelf, basking spot is about eye level with me
  • Location - New England USA

Current Problem - My chameleon closes his eyes every once in a while, whenever I come near his cage he reopens them

IMG_7043.jpg

Definitely could be the lack of UVB. You need to get that fixed ASAP. Also, mealworms have no nutrition for chams and I wouldn't recommend feeding those to him anymore. Take out all fake plants, veileds have a tendency to eat them and could get impacted which is fatal. Add more live plant coverage for him. Also, does your calcium with D3 have vitamin A in it? You should be giving him a multivitamin as well.

I have only been feeding mealworms to my chameleon because my cricket shipment has been delayed and the petstore was out of crickets, so meal worms were my only option.

I have only been feeding mealworms to my chameleon because my cricket shipment has been delayed and the petstore was out of crickets, so meal worms were my only option.
Sounds good as long as it's temporary. You need to focus on getting that new UVB as soon as you can. :)

Sounds good as long as it's temporary. You need to focus on getting that new UVB as soon as you can. :)
Yes, I will try to get a t5 as soon as possible. I have a question though, I have heard that eye problems could be a result of vitamin A deficiency, I don't currently use multivitamin and I'm wondering if that could be a problem.

Yes, I will try to get a t5 as soon as possible. I have a question though, I have heard that eye problems could be a result of vitamin A deficiency, I don't currently use multivitamin and I'm wondering if that could be a problem.
It definitely could be! Multivitamins are cheap, try to find one with Vitamin A and alternate between the D3 and Multivitamin. One day a week, use D3, next week use Multivitamin.

It definitely could be! Multivitamins are cheap, try to find one with Vitamin A and alternate between the D3 and Multivitamin. One day a week, use D3, next week use Multivitamin.
Ok will do, so say this Saturday I give him multivitamin and next Saturday I give him d3? Also do the multivitamin come with d3 in them, please tell me some brands I can use.

@BCboom

Everything your describing is due to lack of UVB.... While it does not seem serious it is very serious. MBD starts by pulling the calcium out of the bones weakening them. Eyes closing is directly impacted by lack of UVB. This stimulates them to eat and function. Eyes closing are the first sign of decline. Next will be reduced eating. May see disfigurement of the bone structure as well. Then the body totally shuts down.

Buy reptivite without D3 and rotate this week to week with your calcium with D3 so that each are only used 2 times a month. Then you will use calcium without D3 at all other feedings.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Baby Male veiled chameleon, have had him for one month now
  • Handling - Handle him every few days for about 5 minutes... DO NOT Handle baby while he does not have the correct husbandry this adds additional stress on an already stressed and declining body.
  • Feeding - I feed him 8-12 insects everyday, mix between crickets and mealworms... Mealworms in moderation while you can not get additional feeders is fine. But you want to go off these to staple feeders as soon as you can. They are very low in nutritional value.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 every feeding and I use d3 once every two weeks. Buy reptivite without D3 and rotate this week to week with your calcium with D3 so that each are only used 2 times a month. Then you will use calcium without D3 at all other feedings.
  • Watering - I mist him 3 times a day for about 2 minutes
  • Fecal Description - Feces seems normal, urine part is white
  • History - had him for 1 month

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen Mesh 16" L X 16" W X 30" H.. This will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4 enclosure within the next month or so.
  • Lighting - I use the dome fixture that came in the chameleon kit, I know the uvb is wrong and plan on getting a t5 as soon as I can. This is an item that you can not wait on. If you need help finding one to buy tell us. But prolonged lack of UVB causes major health issues leading to death.
  • Temperature - Cage temp is about 68-70 and basking spot is about 80-85... 85 is a bit high for a baby.
  • Humidity - Misted 3 times a day, when lights are turned on and off and in between what are you humidity levels?
  • Plants - I use a golden pothos and a tropical plant
  • Placement - The cage is in my room on a small bookshelf, basking spot is about eye level with me
  • Location - New England USA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom