Veiled chameleon bored of crickets

Michaelk20

Is this normal?

I'm varying his diet anyway with other food but is this something I should worry about?

He used to go mad for them but now he's not bothered at all!

He's 5 months old btw.

Thanks

yes it seems to be normal with some chameleons that they prefer worms and other prey over crickets. What else are you feeding? The good thing about crickets is that they are easily gutloaded and are a lowfat feeder. You can try not offering any other food besides crickets. He will get hungry sooner or later. He is a little young though to be turning down crickets so soon, but sometimes I think once they get a taste of other foods they can get picky.

He's happily eating meal worms and small hoppers by hand, all supplemented as best as I can. I give him the odd waxworm now and then and i keep a small dish with a few mealworms in his house so I know that he is eating when he doesn't have any crickets.

Since we got him I have been putting crickets in a big box then sitting him on my hand and he has been eating them this way, the last time he ate crickets was last friday and he has just been eating everything else since. He has always had a varied diet, the odd bit of fruit too its just recently hes stopped eating crickets

Not sure how old your guy is, but I would also try superworms if he's large enough to handle them. Also, silkworms, phoenix/calcium worm and hornworms (if you order from an online supplier you can often get small ones if your guy is still little) are great feeders and should be added if possible. Roaches are very popular as well and easily gutloaded.

Variety is key. The more variety you offer, the better. And of course, don't forget to gutload everything. Without a good gutload, your cham will suffer.

I've just ordered some silkworms so i'll start giving him them aswel, I tried him on crickets again this morning and no interest at all! Took a hopper straight out of my hand though

So they are pretty small then. Do you have a pic of your cham??

May just be getting tired of that size. Mine stopped eating the larges all together and when I switched the sizes and went back down to mediums she started hunting again.

Also has anything changed in his environment recently?

Here he is:

photo.JPG

Apart from this he is otherwise happy! His poo looks good, drinks plenty and his urate is nice and white. Literally just the crickets.

Do you think i should try a different size then? Smaller or bigger?
Nothing has changed in his environment other than the addition of the mealworm cup.

More time has passed, i stopped trying him on crickets for a while he has been eating hoppers and meal worms. He absolutely loves hoppers so I'm going to start breeding them.

Tried feeding him on Crickets again last night, literally no interest what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom