Veiled Chameleon Biting own tail

@nightanole when staying Cage I don’t have to worry about rinsing out? Also when spraying Nismo do I dry her off after or let it sit? Thanks.

Dont have to rinse cage or cham. The longer it stays the longer it protects. With misting it will rinse quickly off for drinking. with the salt water spray, just avoid the head :)

You can use others "ointment" for the injured tail, the salt water spray is for the good skin. You could spray the tail with it too (its not going to burn or anything, its what you spray on human burns/road rash), and then apply others oinment mixures.

Id just treat it like a burn for now. Silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene). You can also use Neosporin Original ONLY if its original formula. Some of the newer stuff has numbing/soothing agents etc, which are very harmful to reptiles.
I don’t know if this is inappropriate on here but here is my number 706-201-5928. I’m really serious about saving her so if anyone have good tips or where I can get meds at or ointments or spray anything just please shoot me a text @nightanole @
I would put some first aid ointment on the tail and wrap it in some two sided first aid bandage.

Hey all so I don’t know if this is inappropriate on here or not but here’s my number 706-201-5928 I’m not trying to sell anyone anything or get anything out of anyone but info to save my Nismo so if you can think of anything at all for cleaners, sprays, meds, anything or how to use them and where to get them text me. I will not give anyone your information you don’t even have to tell me your name. Like I said I love Nismo to death she is like family too me.

Neosporin, Polysporin(less harsh version of neo, it only has 2 outa 3 of the antibiotics) and Silvadene(need a prescription) are the non generic name brands, you should be able to get them at any local drug store.

Last edited:
I’m a fan of manuka honey. Besides being antimicrobial and keeping the wound bed moist, it also helps to ‘feed’ the newly forming tissue cells. It’s a bit pricey but well worth it. After cleaning the wound you can apply a small dab, cover with a 2x2 gauze and then secure with adhesive wrap. Just be careful not to wrap tightly enough to constrict circulation. B6F94919-6E6E-48F0-BA95-4BC696752BBC.jpeg

I’m a fan of manuka honey. Besides being antimicrobial and keeping the wound bed moist, it also helps to ‘feed’ the newly forming tissue cells. It’s a bit pricey but well worth it. After cleaning the wound you can apply a small dab, cover with a 2x2 gauze and then secure with adhesive wrap. Just be careful not to wrap tightly enough to constrict circulation. View attachment 250010

Id kill for a video of this procedure :)

I’m a human nurse. I figure if one can get a wound dressing on a fragile yet unhumanly strong and very agitated Alzheimer’s patient, a cham can’t be much harder. :ROFLMAO:

@MissSkittles @nightanole This should be entertaining idk if I can get a video I wills try but how in the holy hell am I supposed to wrap the itty bitty little part of her tail? I ask can’t find Chlorhexidine anywhere.... I did a sea salt spray like someone suggested and she hasn’t gone after her tail since it looks like the bit park has dried up.

@MissSkittles @nightanole This should be entertaining idk if I can get a video I wills try but how in the holy hell am I supposed to wrap the itty bitty little part of her tail? I ask can’t find Chlorhexidine anywhere.... I did a sea salt spray like someone suggested and she hasn’t gone after her tail since it looks like the bit park has dried up.
No idea, I’m afraid other than you’d need someone to help. Just throwing it out there if needed. If salt spray is helping, keep doing that.

No idea, I’m afraid other than you’d need someone to help. Just throwing it out there if needed. If salt spray is helping, keep doing that.
@MissSkittles if you know anyone In my area Athens Georgia tell them to message me my wife is pregnant and isn’t trying to play with a cham right now. I can’t tell you I did the salt spray twice now and her tail is curled up and she isn’t biting at it at all and when. I open the cage she is running to me again which Makes me feel a lot better

Still follow up with veterinary care infections that get in to the nerve tissue of the tail can cause a burning itching sensation in the tail that can cause some animals to chew it off (cauda equina syndrome). The bite wounds will probably need a systemic antibiotic treatment.

Back
Top Bottom