Veiled Chameleon Biting own tail

I hope your chameleon doesn't do it again tomorrow. You'll need to find a way to stop it. Maybe put a tube or something over it...but then I don't know how you can fasten it so it won't slip off without damaging the chameleon.

@CamoChameleonsHuman i do feed at night about three hours before bed time just about five crickets but she seems to eat them all up fast. Luckily this morning it looks like she has had enough chewing on herself and is just basking.

@CamoChameleonsHuman i do feed at night about three hours before bed time just about five crickets but she seems to eat them all up fast. Luckily this morning it looks like she has had enough chewing on herself and is just basking.
I think it's best she goes in to get some antibiotics at very least from a reputable reptile vet Where are you located again? @janjan20 has the hookup for reptile vets across the nation. If she's not treated she will die from an infection, blood poisoning, or whatever is causing her to do this in the first place... At very least she could lose her tail which to a chameleon is like loosing an arm. Life's still manageable but it's not fun. I think it's best to try and get a root cause if possible. I understand this wasn't your plan when buying a $60 chameleon but she's your baby now.

I think it's best she goes in to get some antibiotics at very least from a reputable reptile vet Where are you located again? @janjan20 has the hookup for reptile vets across the nation. If she's not treated she will die from an infection, blood poisoning, or whatever is causing her to do this in the first place... At very least she could lose her tail which to a chameleon is like loosing an arm. Life's still manageable but it's not fun. I think it's best to try and get a root cause if possible. I understand this wasn't your plan when buying a $60 chameleon but she's your baby now.
Thanks for the tag but it’s the wrong Jann lol. I think the website is: thereptilereport.com

The laying bin question is tough. Traditionally we thought it should be deep like 12" or so of sand or soil that can easily hold a tunnel. Then further research in the field, with people like petr necas, showed that they actually prefer to lay shallow against a hard surface like rocks, a ball of roots, wood, etc. The thought is they dig so deep in captivity because we don't offer them objects to lay their eggs near.

@Tony_S Well for her first few hours up she was doing awesome and leaving it alone and now she’s back at it again. Just about half an inch on the very end of her tail till bloody. It’s weird she will go upside down then start attacking her tail. I’ve called vets all over where I am and 90% of them don’t see Exotic animals. The two that do are not available untill Monday afternoon. I’m trying to make sure she doesn’t eat herself to death before then but I’m also not trying to handle her and induce stress.

The exotic vets you did talk to, did they at least tell you what you can do to keep her from biting her tail and what to put on it until the appointment on Monday.

The exotic vets you did talk to, did they at least tell you what you can do to keep her from biting her tail and what to put on it until the appointment on Monday.
@Tony_S They were not willing to tell me anything untill Nismo is seen. They said they don’t want to give the wrong information. So I’m relying on reading and everyone on the forum to help hopefully!

Biting feet and tail is normally from a dermatitis caused by something in the cage. A minor scratch or abrasion gets agitated/infected. Id clean the cage and the chameleon with a disinfectant.

For the cage that could be a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. it will rinse a way with time from the misting. For the cham it can be a simple salt water spray/wipe of 1 cup of water and 1 tea spoon of salt.

If this was Peri, I would be just showing up at the vets office for an emergency appointment. I wouldn't be letting him chew on his tail for another 3 days.

Biting feet and tail is normally from a dermatitis caused by something in the cage. A minor scratch or abrasion gets agitated/infected. Id clean the cage and the chameleon with a disinfectant.

For the cage that could be a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. it will rinse a way with time from the misting. For the cham it can be a simple salt water spray/wipe of 1 cup of water and 1 tea spoon of salt.

@nightanole when staying Cage I don’t have to worry about rinsing out? Also when spraying Nismo do I dry her off after or let it sit? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom