Veiled chameleon anus

peanut123

My mature chameleon, Peanut, has something protuding very slightly from his anus. I have no idea what it is. I have soaked him many times in warm water in case it was dried fecal matter but it didn't remove it. I also rubbed it very gently with a soft cloth to no avail. Not sure what male parts look like on a chameleon and couldn't find any pictures online to show what this could be. Has anyone got any info or pictures that I could compare with. He is eating and seems otherwise himself. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
Peanut's Mom

Pictures.

It sounds like a prolapse. Keep it moist or it will become necrotic and will require amputation. Take him to the vet.

Might simply be sperm plugs Kara, why assume the worst?

Drama Llama!

Peanut please post a few clear images if possible. :)

Anything like this?

sperm plugs
IMG_2208.jpg

https://www.chameleonforums.com/stuff-growing-out-chameleons-butt-not-poop-37668/

or like this (prolapse)
4566205963_603d8748c4.jpg

Last edited:
She probably assumed that because sperm plugs would be easily removed after 1 soaking and this animal's been soaked "many times." Argue argue. I agree with Pssh that if it isn't coming off after a soaking a vet visit is in order. Does it look like pink flesh?

Gee we could scrap the health clinic entirely by stickying 'get to the vet' ,and be done with it mate!
Why ask here if you think its an emergency?
'because it might not be' would seem to be the answer 99/100.
I just dont like to jump to conclusions
Who says they're easily removed after one soaking anyway , they dry ,they harden...:p

I hate drama! most poster's are anxious enough already. :D

i'd say that isn't normal, but to be honest... it looks like the carcasses of mealworms or superworms are hanging out of your chameleon's butt.. either way, not normal.

Alright jojackson, you're stirring up way more drama than anyone else right now. Tone it down a notch please. :) Deep breathes...in and out...in and out. ;)

i'd say that isn't normal, but to be honest... it looks like the carcasses of mealworms or superworms are hanging out of your chameleon's butt.. either way, not normal.

its actually a sperm plug in the first pic, normal for male chams like veileds and panthers...

the second pic is a prolapse

Last edited:
Kent hit the nail on the head. After rubbing at the stuff gently AND soaking it many times, with no progress, it sounds like a prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom