Veiled chameleon abscess

The more and more I read on chameleon illnesses I see that veileds are the most likely of all species to acquire an abscess. Any thoughts or genuine facts on why this is ?

I don't see more Chamaeleo calyptratus with abscesses than other species at clinic. Think that just looks like this because the veiled chameleon is one of the most common and kept chameleon species. There exist a lot more papers about diseases in Chamaeleo calyptratus than in other species, but it doesn't mean this species is more prone to sickness or anything, it's just wider spread as pet.

I don't see more Chamaeleo calyptratus with abscesses than other species at clinic. Think that just looks like this because the veiled chameleon is one of the most common and kept chameleon species. There exist a lot more papers about diseases in Chamaeleo calyptratus than in other species, but it doesn't mean this species is more prone to sickness or anything, it's just wider spread as pet.

Agree. There are simply many more accounts of veiled chameleon health issues floating around. And, veileds are most likely purchased as a first chameleon by newbies who may be more likely to run into health problems.

I would not say they are prone to "abscesses" which in itself isn't a specific term. Abscesses can form in many different situations from untreated injuries to encapsulated parasites, to skin burns to stomatitis. IMHO we hear about more temporal gland abscesses in jacksoni on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom