veiled chameleon 4 months

layla.s9439

Me and my bf have a 4 month old veiled chameleon and we have been worrying about him for the past few days because we had moved him into a new taller enclosure about 2 days ago and he hasnt been eating properly sense I think it could be stress from moving homes but i just want to make sure 100% hes okay but we feed him a variety of inscets such as medium- large crickets, dubias, superworms, hornworms, and mealworms were thinking of maybe getting some waxworms and maybe flies for him bc weve seen him shoot at fruit flies and stuff and think that could be fun for him to hunt and we also try to dust every meal some meals we forget but we dust with just calcium and on fridays calcium with d3 but everything about him has been okay except for eating we think he might have a shed soon and were reading about loss of appetite before shed but were just really not sure in his new cage it has the same lights and misting setup we usually have it mist every 3 hours for 45-60 seconds but sometimes well switch it to every one hour if we feel like its really dry in our room and we also have a hand mister and well use that too to give him a really good mist before bed and in the morning and in his enclosure he has plenty of spots to climb and hide and bask under the light and his heat lamp we like to set the heat lamp around 80 degrees sometimes 75 if we feel like its extra hot or will turn it up 85 if its kinda cold in his cage he also has many plants like a golden pathos a braided hibiscus tree and a honeysuckle bush and for the past few days hes been eating leaves off the golden pathos and the bush and the flowers off the hibiscus also in his cage he has fake vines that he climbs up and many of the benda branch branches and hes like moving around and like looking around there and i hope hes getting used to the cage and will hopefully eat soon from maybe just being stressed but hes in a way better home than before this one holds humidity way better than our last one but our last one was just a first try cage it was still very nice but the one nows way better ima add some pics of him and his new cage and the last pic is his old cage thank you

Attachments

• FB7FD7B9-869F-43F2-A972-C64673A20289.png
    FB7FD7B9-869F-43F2-A972-C64673A20289.png
    892.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 0A830AED-A0A0-4992-8668-AAF42D489B4F.jpeg
    0A830AED-A0A0-4992-8668-AAF42D489B4F.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 82
  • 7F1A5952-A65F-4CCA-B8AD-32A340805DBE.jpeg
    7F1A5952-A65F-4CCA-B8AD-32A340805DBE.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 363EBD7B-18C1-4DF0-8584-9A8236A2C5E5.jpeg
    363EBD7B-18C1-4DF0-8584-9A8236A2C5E5.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 85
  • FD259D9B-0E0F-43E2-B468-7E184B546FC3.jpeg
    FD259D9B-0E0F-43E2-B468-7E184B546FC3.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 87
How are you feeding him? Cup, feeder run?
we will use a cup, tongs, or just set the insects around the cage so he can hunt them hes usally been confortable with all of that but he hasnt ate off the tongs at all recently so we have been putting them in his bowl and around the cage more

You really shouldn’t use tongs to feed. Chameleons strike and pull back their tongue much faster than we can release the tongs and this can (and has) result in serious injury to the tongue.
okay well i bairly have been using them at all recently and okay i see hella ppl use tongs i think his tounge is hurt its definitely okay hes just not eating as much rn

okay well i bairly have been using them at all recently and okay i see hella ppl use tongs i think his tounge is hurt its definitely okay hes just not eating as much rn
i just realized i didnt make much sense but his tongue is fine im not wprried about that i ment to say isnt hurt not is

but as i said to the fist person i feed him many different ways not just tongs how tf do u feed urs

You really shouldn’t use tongs to feed. Chameleons strike and pull back their tongue much faster than we can release the tongs and this can (and has) result in serious injury to the tongue.
If you don’t hold the tongs too tight they can hit and retrieve their Tongues without any damage.

If you don’t hold the tongs too tight they can hit and retrieve their Tongues without any damage.
exactly and we bairly grip it and sometimes there not even in between the tongs and just crawling on them so he sees them moving and will eat them i really dont think tongs could cause serious damage unless u dont know what ur doing or ur holding onto the bugs super tight to where he cant even get it off the tongs

Tong feeding is not something we advise people to do here. We have seen far too many times where the chameleon hits the tongs instead of the feeder and the person pulls back ripping all the ligaments in the tongue. Most commonly causes permanent damage to the point of having to amputate the tongue. It is just a very dangerous combo and the risk is not worth it in the end.

Tong feeding is not something we advise people to do here. We have seen far too many times where the chameleon hits the tongs instead of the feeder and the person pulls back ripping all the ligaments in the tongue. Most commonly causes permanent damage to the point of having to amputate the tongue. It is just a very dangerous combo and the risk is not worth it in the end.
okay them what do u “advise people to do here” bc ive been using many ways not just tongs so idk y u making a huge deal i just wont use them damn

What UVB lighting are you using on this cage? T5HO or T8? What bulb strength?
Are you using a multivitamin?
im not sure what the uvb is called but i can post a picture ik its a 32” bulb and i use calcium without d3 daily and calcium with d3 once a week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 71
okay them what do u “advise people to do here” bc ive been using many ways not just tongs so idk y u making a huge deal i just wont use them damn
Cup feed, hand feed, or free range. Lots of options, some of which you already do, so no need to use tongs to feed, which are risky.

Tongs are still great for picking up bugs to put into a calcium shaking bag or into a cup!

Back
Top Bottom