Veiled Cham won’t poop

Jax2214

So, I’ve switched my small crickets to large crickets. I’ve been feeding my chameleon 3-4 large crickets and he seemed to be fine. But, he won’t poop anymore! I think it’s something to do with me handling him. I hold him almost everyday and he seems to be fine with me handling him. Or, it might be that we cleaned his cage and rearranged his vines and everything in it. So, if someone knows this problem, can you guys help me solve why he’s not pooping?

If it is something to do with the cage, here’s some pics

Attachments

• 17F158C8-A13C-4C42-8FE5-EB78E5D527A0.jpeg
    17F158C8-A13C-4C42-8FE5-EB78E5D527A0.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 627D1183-695A-4A06-8929-CF8E9AE21807.jpeg
    627D1183-695A-4A06-8929-CF8E9AE21807.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 281
There's a ton to mention here. Your enclosure is way off of what a Veiled needs. Fill out the help form, and myself and other members can respond appropriately.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He should be in a terrarium or screen enclosure to get proper ventilation. Please provide pics of the chameleon itself, he might be sick. What are the temps, how old is he, please fill out the ask for help form.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
You beat me to it!

IMHO you need to get a larger cage. I'm not a fan of substrate either since it can be ingested and lead to an impaction.
Why do you only have one light on the cage? There should be a basking light and a UVB.
If he's eating then he should be pooping.is he drinking well?

Let's deal with the possible constipation issue first. If that is the issue there are two things I know of that can help. Feeding veiled pureed pears is said to help produce stool. The other is for many species. Many chameleons like to poop in the presence of water. A "Shower"* or extra long misting can encourage them to defecate and provide ample hydration which may help as well.
*"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

As mentioned above your caging needs a serious overhaul. Your chameleons health depends on proper husbandry, unventilated glass aquariums are almost impossible to adjust to provide good husbandry. Getting a screen cage or tall glass viv will prevent a host of issues.

Let's deal with the possible constipation issue first. If that is the issue there are two things I know of that can help. Feeding veiled pureed pears is said to help produce stool. The other is for many species. Many chameleons like to poop in the presence of water. A "Shower"* or extra long misting can encourage them to defecate and provide ample hydration which may help as well.
*"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

As mentioned above your caging needs a serious overhaul. Your chameleons health depends on proper husbandry, unventilated glass aquariums are almost impossible to adjust to provide good husbandry. Getting a screen cage or tall glass viv will prevent a host of issues.
My little guy always poops in the shower, so this seems to work well. Any idea on how it encourages them, or is it stress from being in the shower?

Brian29...Welcome to the forum!
I read your other posts and its apparent that you are new to chameleons and need some help. This is an old thread and you should start a thread of your own so people can use the OPs thread to answer the OP....so I will go to one of YOUR other threads and try to help you there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom