Veiled Cham closing eyes during day

Perezmoses

Your Chameleon - I have a turquoise veiled chameleon 2-3 months old. Male. I've had him for one week.

Handling - Since I got him I've only handled twice. Once to put him in his cage the first day and once more 3 days later.

Feeding - fruit flys wax worms and recently started on crickets.he hasnt been eating much he has been eating hand ful of fruit flys cant tell exact amount. He had one wax worm good sized one day didnt eat the day after yesterday he had 2 crickets small amd today he only ate one. Varies usually afternoon 12pm-5. I have fluckers complete cricket diet and fluckers cricket quencher I replenish every day. And I dust all insects I feed him everyday.

Supplements - I use repashy trex for chameleons it says calcium plus and it does have D3 I use every time I feed.

Watering - i mist with spray bottle and i have 2 mini drippers. Im getting a exoterra monsoon misting system i ordered it monday should be here tommorow.3-4 times a day for a few seconds. I have seen him
Drink occasionally

Fecal Description - Mostly
Brown with some
White haven't noticed any yellow in his poop. it's not runny

History - I got him good and healthy.

Current Problem - He hasn't been eating alot he only eats one or two crickets And when I try to feed more he shows no Intrest. I noticed him yesterday closing his eyes during the day and noticed it again today alot more he started right after he ate one cricket.

Cage Type - I have a 65 gal retarium screen cage it's 30x16x27

Lighting - I'm using an exo terra UVB 5.0 hood bulb a 60 watt exo terra sun glo, and a zoo med 25 watt basking bulb. Yester I changed to a
Zilla tropical 25 UVB but changed back to the exo terra 5.0 today because I read that it might be to strong for a baby Cham and thought that might be a cause of the problem.

Temperature - My thermometer is located in middle of cage I keep temps during day from 75-80 at night lowest 68-73 I have a zilla thermostat to keep temps in check. And a fan pushing air out of the room not directly on Cham cage or anywhere near it.

Humidity - 40-80 I mist 3-4 times a day And have 2 mini droppers going through the day. I have a dual exo terra thermometer hydrometer. And have one side And half of the back covered with plastic bag to keep humidity up

Plants - one habiscus one weeping fig one pothos and one bonsai peach tree I use only organic soil.
Placement - Cage is In the far corner of my room no near Amy fans vents or traffic areas. The top of cage is about 4 feet from floor
Location - Reno, Nevada

I also noticed that he has been yawning quite a bit.
I forgot toention that I purchased him from the veiled chameleon online.

I would also ditch the 60 watt sun glo. Why do you have that on top of the 25 watt? Just use the 25 watt housebulb for basking, and if the temps are too low try a 40 watt.

I'm using the Exo terra 5.0 UVB. I've been using it since day one but changed it yesterday to a 30inch zilla since the exo terra is only a 24inch I wanted a longer one. But like I said I just changed it back. He is still acting the same. It's like he wants to go to sleep but his tail isn't curled up like when he does go to bed.

I'm using the Exo terra 5.0 UVB. I've been using it since day one but changed it yesterday to a 30inch zilla since the exo terra is only a 24inch I wanted a longer one. But like I said I just changed it back. He is still acting the same. It's like he wants to go to sleep but his tail isn't curled up like when he does go to bed.

are you going to take out the sunglo? Did you get my pm?

The 60 watt came with the chameleon kit i got from lol reptile and I got the basking light because I know they need an area for basking.
But I'll take off the 60 watt and use house bulbs for heat.
Should I turn off all UVA UVB bulbs?

No do not turn off the UVB or your UVA. Leave them on for 12 hours and turn them off for 12 if that is what your question is. What I was saying is you do not need both of them and maybe the 60 watt is a little too much light for a 2-3 month old. I mean just try and remove it and try the 25 watt for basking. The 60 watt sunglo IS a basking light.

i had the same issue and have went over it with some members on the forum.. not shure if this will be your case but my veiled had his eyes closed during the day. the reason for this was because my reptisun 5.0 bulb was brand new and it was giving off too much uvb light and was bothering my chams eyes. since then i have raised the light about 1ft of the top of the cage and he has gotten way better.

Ok I thought it was a normal heat light. And no what I ment was for right now should I give him a break from all UVA UVB light just for a few hours I always turn on all lights at 730am and off at 730pm.
My 5.0 is brand new so it might be the case. But was your Cham also not eating as much ?

Supplements - I use repashy trex for chameleons it says calcium plus and it does have D3 I use every time I feed.

You probably want to change this up a bit as well as some of the suggestions above. This is probably not causing the eye issue but will help your little guy while he is groing.

Suggested Supplements :
Rep-Cal with D3 (This is the twice a month calcium supplement) - http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...lcium-with-d3/

Rep-Cal without D3 (This is the daily supplement)-
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...um-without-d3/

Rep-Cal Hertivite (This is a twice monthly vitamin with beta carotene)-
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...te-supplement/

You do not have to use the exact brand but most swear by them here on the forums.

I will order some. I already have the rep cal herpvite I use it every other day for my dart frogs and it does them well. but I'll order a new batch just for my cham.

Back
Top Bottom