Veiled Care

Hi everyone. I just recently got a veiled chameleon and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right so he can be as healthy as possible and live a long time. Just let me know if there's anything I can improve on or do differently. Thanks

Cage Info:
• Cage Type Screen reptarium. About 18x18x30
• Lighting – Exo Terra Repti-glo 5.0, 100 watt ceramic heat emitter, exo terra sun glo incandescent
• Temperature – Not sure. Need to buy a thermometer soon
• Humidity – Not sure of humidity levels,need to buy a hygrometer. I mist the cage with a spray bottle at least 3 times a day
• Plants – yes, parlor palm. Also have some fake plants
• Location – in my bedroom. Fairly low traffic area. Top of cage is 30 inches from the floor (This will change soon because I have a stand I’m going to put it on which is 30 inches tall)

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon – Veiled chameleon, male, about 4 months old. I have only had it for about a week
• Handling – once or twice a day for a very short period of time
• Feeding – I feed him crickets. I usually throw in about 5 or 6 every morning. I feed the crickets with slices of apple
• Supplements – I use rep-cal calcium supplement with vitamin D. I use it a couple times a week.
• Watering – I spray down all of the leaves and vines in the cage with room temperature water from a spray bottle. I do this about 3-5 times daily and I do it each time for about 30 seconds or how ever long it takes to wet the leaves
• Fecal Description – A dark brown part and a whitish part. Mostly solid with a little bit of liquid
• History – I got him from a guy that breeds veiled chameleons
• Current Problem – Just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Sorry I forgot to add a few pictures of his setup

Attachments

• SUNP0020.jpg
    SUNP0020.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 158
  • SUNP0021.jpg
    SUNP0021.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 205
get rid of the heat emitter and use the D3 calcium less 1-2x a month, and buy herptivite and normal rep-cal w/o D3. pretty much good.

oh, he's gonna need a bigger cage when he's older.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a basking light for the day time only. He can get cool at night. Does is get colder than 65 in your house at night? For a basking light I use a house light bulb 40 watt. His basking area should get up to 88 or 89. Check out this site for more great info. www.raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.com

You need a basking light for the day time only. He can get cool at night. Does is get colder than 65 in your house at night? For a basking light I use a house light bulb 40 watt. His basking area should get up to 88 or 89.

Ok cool, that will actually make things a little easier. It might get below 65 in my house on some nights during the winter but that's pretty rare. Plus I have a small heater I can put in my room for when it does get cold.:D

i too live in colorado. i use a space heater with thermostat to keep his room around 70 all the time. i use a humidifier it has setting to keep room at 60% this offsets the dryness of the space heater. i have found that if you keep there ambient temp at or higher than 70 they eat better. i had room at 65 and my cham started eating alot less. when i had him in reptile room with burmese, temp was 77-80, he ate like a pig. i couldnt lower temp so i moved him to other room. he seems to like a lower temp at night, i think he sleeps better.

also do you feed crix more than apples? you should invest in a good dry gutload if you dont allready have one. they are usualy cheap and very diverse in ingredients. i like cricket crack, i got from SSimsswiSS on this sight. apples are great for moisture, but dont have much else as far as nutrition.

Crick Crack is the best! My crickets stay healthy a long time. I buy a whole 1000 box for my 4 vieleds and I can feed them all off before buying more. I used to have about a 40% die off. I also give them water crystals for water....works great because you can rehydrate them if you don't let them dry out too much. The crystals are really cheap (just a couple dollars) and both are definately worth the money and you don't have to worry about fresh things always being on hand. I do feed crickets and vieleds kale. My crickets have never eaten red peppers, sweet potatoes, etc. They just like the cricket crack.

Back
Top Bottom