Veil Chams have such a bad reputation !!!

TiffanyMariexo

Breaks my heart.

Horror stories online, youtube is full of videos making people believe that Veils are nasty and should never be handled.

My baby Pascal is 2 months old. Amazing personality !! He looks to come out of the cage, and will fall asleep on my hand late at night close to bedtime. He eats right from my hand and loves to venture all over me. Loves his tail being stroked and doesnt flinch when I kiss his belly :p

Love to hear some great stores on how amazing and loving these guys can be. My little guy is the sweetest thing and I know from not pushing it and lots of patience we can keep our sweetheart tame :D

Tiffany

Attachments

• 166726_10151328123228367_2097811727_n.jpg
    166726_10151328123228367_2097811727_n.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 161
Well, with all the posts about them you might think they have a bad rep, but many of us have kept mellow ones. I think you are simply seeing more posts because more people have them.

My veiled was mean a while ago (when I just got him).

I got scared he'd be mean forever because I read all those posts on how mean veileds are. :(

Now he's actually sweet.

Come back in 6 months when hes a teen age veiled.

Then he will have his adult personality. Some are good some are bad. Some will still want to sit on your shoulder and hand feed, some will defend the cage till the bitter end. Though the cage defenders are easier to semi force feed (hiss, squirt, wut) and take to the vet "i need to look into his mouth, "oh that wont be an issue..."

My chameleon rufuses to wake up (i turn his lights on at 9am and off at 9pm) this mornign and yesterday he didnt eat till 9:30 because he refused to wake up!!) Eyes stayed closed and all, through dog barking and the crickets chirping...

I'm glad you have such a bond with your Cham, thats really beutiful, you must've gotten lucky on the breeder, im jelous he lets you rub his tail, i have to rub Kilo's chin, he hates his back touched.

my veiled was such a good boy from day 1 .
he loves to hand feed , drink water from the bottle i myst, and he adores to stay on me all day especialy on my head !
if i let him roam the house he comes after me ,climbs on me and just chills :D .
he only gets angry if i dont get him out for a daily walk on my body or house.
if i ignore him he comes hear the cage and puffs like crazy :))) .
and he loves to make love with my hand..

this been said , my boy was tame and comfortable with me from day 1 and he never changed !

I know when they get older they get territorial about their cage, but once out fine. Pascal is handled everyday for long periods and enjoys us. We have only had him a week and he has shedded, ate from my hand and fell asleep on me already. He's pretty relaxed and comes up to cage to be brought out as soon as he sees me. I love my baby boy and will keep him tame

I just got a 2 month old veiled Ive had for about a week now. He runs every time I get to close to the cage, if I open the door to put food in, and he heads for the hills when I mist his cage. Very shy around people. Any suggestions to get him to relax when people are near or in his cage?

Haha Pascal gets mad if I don't let him wonder too. Seems like I'm well on my way :) Thanksss guys ! Still would love to hear more stories its always encouraging

Attachments

• baby%20pasc.jpg
    baby%20pasc.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 111
I just got a 2 month old veiled Ive had for about a week now. He runs every time I get to close to the cage, if I open the door to put food in, and he heads for the hills when I mist his cage. Very shy around people. Any suggestions to get him to relax when people are near or in his cage?

Sometimes its best to let him adjust to his new habitat. I just got lucky with my guy being so forward. Plus I love him so much I couldn't help but bond with him right away :)

I to had a 'mean' veiled male chameleon. I had to 'force' feed him too and he was really defensive and hissy. But I could grab him, there's nothing he could do about it. He was fairly calm and cool exploring outside of the cage. I just didn't like doing it to him because I never wanted to stress him out. They are animals and deserve respect, even though we keep them as pets they have rights !

Before I couldn't hold my panther and he would keep running on me. Now although he's still afraid of me he can start calming down :) he's been with me for like a month :)

I don't think it is so much a bad reputation as it is just their true reputation.. it seems like the vast majority are pretty territorial with strong personalities. Its just millions of years of evolution that is unlikely changed by decades of us having them as pets. I think some people get lucky and get more relaxed ones. Mine was nice for awhile then one day I went and bought him a bunch of plants and new foliage and its like he flipped. I could no longer reach in and coax him onto my hand without hissing. Its almost like he was proud to claim the cage as his own once I upgraded him. I tried my hardest to keep him nice but he still would rather not be held. He will eat all day from my hand but almost at the same time despises it. They are like kids love their parents when young but don't want anything to to do with them when they become teenagers! He hurts my feelings everyday because he is my lil Guy no matter what and I I just want to take care of him, but he wants nothing to do with me lol!

My male veiled is 8 months old and has been the sweetest thing in the world from day 1 when we got him at around 3 months old....I think you're on the right track to having a boy that will always be a sweetheart.

My veileds are pretty calm. They like to sitin front of his cage and watch us. I'm able to put my hand in their cages with no problem. How ever they don't like to be handled. If I pick them up, they puff up, and try to make a run back to their cages. They don't hiss or bite. Just don't like to be picked up. I respect that, so only pick them up when I have too. No meanies here. Lol

So far my 3.5 month old veiled seems to be friendly. Of course this can all change as they grow up. But he hand feeds just fine, and can be coaxed to walk onto my hand and out of his cage. Once out he likes to climb on me, and of course makes a bee-line for the highest point - my head.

My male veiled is 8 months old and has been the sweetest thing in the world from day 1 when we got him at around 3 months old....I think you're on the right track to having a boy that will always be a sweetheart.

Thanks :) its always good to hear some encouragement ! I love my baby cham so much and respect him a great deal. If he seems at all irritated about coming out I leave him alone. For the most part he just comes easy and loves to do a good climb to my head too. Melts my heart when I try to put him in his cage and he runs up my arm the other way lol. Also before bedtime about an hour prior he will do a big exploration then eventually doze off in my hand lol, then he really wants to stay on my hand.. Takes 15 minutes to get him into his cage where he falls asleep for the night.

Back
Top Bottom