vegetables for gutloading?

lybeck

we have a vegetable garden in our backyard and we always plant too much and end up throwing or giving away a ton and I was wondering which of the vegetables are suitable for gutloading my crickets.

we have

Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Bush beans
Peas
Potatoes
Carrots
lettuce
Onions
Kohlrabi
corn

thanks Jordan lybeck

I believe cucumbers are high in oxalates.. I could be wrong.

No tomatoes..

Potatoes, carrots, and lettuce (depending on what kind) can be good for them..

However, for the rest, I do not know.

Peeled cucumbers are low in oxalates and whole ones are moderate in oxalates.
I never use onions....no real reason. I also don't use tomatoes..I worry about the acidity. Romaine and red leaf lettuces are better than head lettuce but there are better things to use on a regular basis.

we have a vegetable garden in our backyard and we always plant too much and end up throwing or giving away a ton and I was wondering which of the vegetables are suitable for gutloading my crickets.
we have
Cucumbers Tomatoes Bush beans Peas Potatoes Carrots lettuce Onions Kohlrabi corn
thanks Jordan lybeck

Hi Jordan

I suppose it depends what nutrients you are trying to pass along.
Most of those listed are higher in Phosphorus than calcium, thus making them not your best choices, in my opinion. I would avoid the tomatoes. Of those listed, Carrots are the only one I choose to use often.

S

I use a prepared dry gutload but I use carrots for a water source.

DragonG you may like to consider switching to a wet gutload as your primary gutload, and using the dry as secondary. Vegetables and fruits not only provide the best source of vitamins, but also ensure better hydrated prey, resulting in a better hydrated chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom