vacation questions

hiihenry

I'm going on a four day vacation this weekend, and I got a timer to time Henry's UVB & heat lamp while I am gone.
I went to home depot and bought a timer and a power strip.
I plugged the two lamps into the power strip, and then plugged the timer in the power strip as well (I couldn't plug the power strip into the timer..)

So I've set the timer on from 8am-6pm (sound right?) and my lights won't turn on/off with the timer!
The UVB hood and 'Bulb Dome' both have on/off switches...is that why they won't turn on?

Now for going away, my boyfriend will be visiting our house everyday to take care of the pets.
I'm having him feeding and mising Henry(my 4-5 month old Panther Chameleon) for 3-5 minutes, and fill his dripper container half-full (I think it will drip for about 30 minutes)
I do have a humidifier for him, but I haven't bought the mistking timer yet as I don't have enough money.
Will he be hydrated enough for that day?

For temperatures, it's been fairly hot where I live, and my room is on the second story of the house, and when it gets really hot I tend to turn his basking light off in the afternoon.
I'm going to be gone from friday to monday, and the temperatures are the following when I check the weather:
fri-monday will be around 77-82F during the day and about 55F at night.
With a basking light, will it get too hot for him if it is on all day?

Sorry for the long post, I've only had him 3 weeks and putting him in another person's care is quite nerve racking :p

Lights on timers - probably a stupid question, but did you turn on the "on" switches before plugging the lights in? - I've always run my lights on timers; the timer is a master on/off switch, and so the light's own switch is set to "on" permanently. If you're just testing out the timer and rigging things up, some UV lights can be finicky, too - if mine (mercury vapor) is turned off for any reason, it will not turn on again for 20 minutes, regardless of anything I might do.

I would leave the basking light off. The UVB will put out some heat, which should be quite sufficient for him. Have you checked the temps near the UVB? If outdoor nighttime temps get to 55, it's going to be warmer than that in your room, and wild panthers encounter temps down to 60 without problem. I live in Michigan (= not overwhelmingly warm in the winter), and have never had an additional basking light; I've had my panther four years. (Caveat - my UVB mercury vapor puts out considerably more heat than a fluorescent would - but at this time of year, you should still be fine).

I've had a succession of cham sitters over the years, and haven't had trouble with dehydration. You might have the dripper container filled all the way. If it's dripping on leaves (and leaved are being hit during the misting sessions), water should remain around for awhile after the dripper ceases.

Good luck and good vacation!

Looks like you'll be fine. Timers/auto misters are great, but nothing replaces a competent sitter, just in case.

i always have the timer for my cham run a 12 hour cycle (i prefer 8:00AM-8:00PM) that way it replicates the daylight cycle pretty accurately :)

The timer should be into the wall socket, the power strip into the timer, and all the items you want activated, plugged into the power strip.:D

Nick

Sorry but your lighting system WILL NOT work. You said youplugged the power strip into the wall and the 2 lights AND the timer into the power strip?
That means the timer is not controlling the lights. The lights would have to be connected to the power strip which would be connected to the timer that is plugged into the wall. You will need to get a power strip that can plug into the timer. Most likely the problem is the timer will only accept a 2 prong cord and the power strip is 3 prong. If that is the case get another timer. Set both lights, and the power strip to the on position, then the timer will control all of it like it should.

I would follow the advice about and leave the heat light off, won't hurt for a day and overheating can do lots of damage. Provide as much dripping water as you possibly can. That will also insure fewer possible problems.

Last relax and have fun.:)

My setup...

Make Sense?

-Steve

Attachments

• ECP_00059.jpg
    ECP_00059.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom