Vacation advice

kristy

So we have 2 veiled chameleons, who are both under a year old. I think around 8 months ish. They eat mealworms and crickets. They have a automated misting system, along with automatic lighting and one has a cup feeder but she knows how to hunt and such as we just started cup feeding. Anyways we are only leaving for 4 days. We leave midnight the first day (in which we will add the feeders then)we will return around 9pm on the 4th day) what would be the best way to go about this? We have posted ads everywhere for someone to help while we are gone, and no response. It's probably much due to we live in a military community and most are also on leave the same time frame. It's not really an optional vacation. My husband is deploying and it's his last chance to see his family for at least a year. So please no negative comments. I understand how to properly care for my chameleon and we don't go on vacation for 7+ days a year. We aren't going to put them through the stress of back and fourth trip for 4 days. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If you truly can't find anyone I would make sure to double/triple check everything including your lights and fill the tank up with feeders.

Adults can go a while with out food and if they are healthy now it shouldn't put to much undue stress on them.

I would not leave my chameleons on their own for four days under any circumstances.... just in case something were to go wrong.

A bulb could blow, the mister could fail to operate... even though they can go without food for that length of time, I would worry myself sick all the time that I was away.

If you cannot find anyone who can at least go in and check that all the lights are working and they are moving around each day etc., is there not a reptile outlet or a breeder within travelling distance that could do a holiday livery service for you?

I honestly thought long and hard about this before getting my chams because I knew that I would need to ensure that I had people on hand to help during holidays etc.

Condesending comments

Do you think my lack to find care is due to my lack of research( I did ask for no negative comments, so if you couldn't provide positive feedback you should of kindly moved onto to a post you could offer positive feedback on. I'm sorry but that's about the nicest thing I could say.

I did my researched for hours a day for months before we became chameleon owners. We also lived in a different area of the United states that I had a pet sitter that has knowledge of chameleons, and had a breeder nearby, an a exotics vet. My husband was all of a sudden in a few days notice given orders to the area we live. There is no breeder in the area. The closest exotic vet in almost 2 hours away and they don't offer boarding for chameleons or any other lizard. I have placed ads every place I know to place them. We have no pet stores that offer boarding for chameleons either. I managed to move my chameleons on a 4 day cross country move and didn't stress them out when they were merely 3 months old. I take very good care of my pets and have did plenty of research.

I know I can leave enough feeders for 4 days and I also research where I buy my feeders and they aren't walmart crickets. My feeders don't attack my chameleons. I also just replaced bulbs, have my tested my timers. My misting system was purchased within the last 3 months and tubing and nozzles are all in working order. I also have a dripping system I will be using JUST in case. I was merely asking for helpful advice. The kind where I don't need someone to tell me how much they researched and how they would never. That's your choice. I didn't ask for your advice if you couldn't be positive. I live in an environment that even if my central heat were to fail they wouldn't be in temps under 65f So i've taken that into account too.

If God forbid a freak snowstorm hits and all power goes out, and a automatic misting system, and simple dripping system, light timer, all fails then worse case I lose one or both of our chameleons. It would be my fault and my fault only. You can then tell me how it's my fault and how you are a far better chameleon owner then me. My husband deploys the day after Christmas(so I'm under enough stress to where I don't need some jerk's negative condescending advice).He has an immediate family member in hospice care(less then 6 months to live) so I guess I have to take that chance because I'm not about to have my husband leave this country to fight knowing he will never see that family member again due to we couldn't go see them because if there was a freak situation our chameleons may die. I don't care what kind of pet owner you are but I hope if you're ever faced with a choice like that you do what you feel is right. I know I'm most certainly making the right choice.

Sorry to anyone reading this or to admin if you feel I'm out of line, but things like this discourage members from asking for advice. Chameleons pay the price when people don't ask advice out of fear of being attacked or being called poor owners. They may not of said those exact words but the condescending comments surely scream it. Thanks to the others that offered advice

4 days is not a huge issue if you have an auto mister. Yes there is always risk in leaving them alone for four days.

It's your call. I've left my animals alone for 4 days before. The mister I use is filled once every four days. My animals get a good long misting in the morning and a few shorter bursts during the day. That would allow them to get a minimal amount of water.

Feeding. I make sure they have enough food for two days of feeding and that the insects have a little food too, like a leaf of Romaine lettuce which also provides moisture for the insects.

The animals will not starve over that period if they already have good weight.

Make sure your lights are all on timers.

The only question is do you want to risk it. Nobody here can answer that for you.

Where are you in NC? I have a friend stationed there, who kept chams for years. Let me know, maybe I can hook you up.

Do you think my lack to find care is due to my lack of research( I did ask for no negative comments, so if you couldn't provide positive feedback you should of kindly moved onto to a post you could offer positive feedback on. I'm sorry but that's about the nicest thing I could say.

I did my researched for hours a day for months before we became chameleon owners. We also lived in a different area of the United states that I had a pet sitter that has knowledge of chameleons, and had a breeder nearby, an a exotics vet. My husband was all of a sudden in a few days notice given orders to the area we live. There is no breeder in the area. The closest exotic vet in almost 2 hours away and they don't offer boarding for chameleons or any other lizard. I have placed ads every place I know to place them. We have no pet stores that offer boarding for chameleons either. I managed to move my chameleons on a 4 day cross country move and didn't stress them out when they were merely 3 months old. I take very good care of my pets and have did plenty of research.

I know I can leave enough feeders for 4 days and I also research where I buy my feeders and they aren't walmart crickets. My feeders don't attack my chameleons. I also just replaced bulbs, have my tested my timers. My misting system was purchased within the last 3 months and tubing and nozzles are all in working order. I also have a dripping system I will be using JUST in case. I was merely asking for helpful advice. The kind where I don't need someone to tell me how much they researched and how they would never. That's your choice. I didn't ask for your advice if you couldn't be positive. I live in an environment that even if my central heat were to fail they wouldn't be in temps under 65f So i've taken that into account too.

If God forbid a freak snowstorm hits and all power goes out, and a automatic misting system, and simple dripping system, light timer, all fails then worse case I lose one or both of our chameleons. It would be my fault and my fault only. You can then tell me how it's my fault and how you are a far better chameleon owner then me. My husband deploys the day after Christmas(so I'm under enough stress to where I don't need some jerk's negative condescending advice).He has an immediate family member in hospice care(less then 6 months to live) so I guess I have to take that chance because I'm not about to have my husband leave this country to fight knowing he will never see that family member again due to we couldn't go see them because if there was a freak situation our chameleons may die. I don't care what kind of pet owner you are but I hope if you're ever faced with a choice like that you do what you feel is right. I know I'm most certainly making the right choice.

Sorry to anyone reading this or to admin if you feel I'm out of line, but things like this discourage members from asking for advice. Chameleons pay the price when people don't ask advice out of fear of being attacked or being called poor owners. They may not of said those exact words but the condescending comments surely scream it. Thanks to the others that offered advice

Sorry you feel that way - I did not attack you or call your a poor owner in any way.

You posted asking if you thought it would be acceptable or okay to leave your chameleons for four days.

This is a discussion forum and I gave my opinion - which is no - I wouldn't do this under any circumstances.

I am truly sorry if I have offended you in any way, that was not my intention, but expecting everyone who owns chameleons to say that they think that it is fine to leave them for a four day period of time is naive, in my opinion.

And as I said in my original post - I am the kind of owner that does not keep animals without having a contingency in place so that if I ever did need to leave the area urgently or for whatever reason, then there is someone on hand to take care of my animals in my absence but that is just me and I am a self confessed worried bordering on paranoia

Last edited:
Honestly, I think your chams will be ok. If I'm reading your timeline properly, you will actually be home almost all of day 1 (leaving at midnight, so they will have 2 full days with no one at the house (day 2 and 3), and the, you will return late on day 4. You won't be able to feed then, but will be able to take a look to make sure things are ok.

I know you have feeder cups - make sure they are tall enough for the crickets to not jump out of and possibly nibble on your chams at night. Yes, lights can blow out, but honestly they don't really do that very frequently. If you have extra new bulbs laying around maybe replace the older bulbs just for this trip for extra peace of mind.

Please accept my sincere wishes for a peaceful trip for you and your husband. I can't even imagine how difficult this is, and thank him for his service to our country. You have to go, there's no other way around it, and you are put in a tough quandry. If I lived closer I'd be happy to help you out, but geography is not in our favor. Best of luck, and let me know if I can do anything else to help.

I've left mine before for days under the same conditions, as in everything is automated, and while it may not be morally ideal it's always been fine. Chameleons aren't made of glass, so if they go a day or two without food or their uvb bulb burns out, whatever, they aren't going to drop dead. If you can't find someone to watch them then that's ok, you won't be gone long at all. I would leave the house thermostat ln a good, normal room temp so if for whatever reason their heat lights burn out they will be totally fine at 68-75°. I don't know how cold it's getting up there but just so the house temp doesn't plummet if it's 20° outside.

I've left mine before for days under the same conditions, as in everything is automated, and while it may not be morally ideal it's always been fine. Chameleons aren't made of glass, so if they go a day or two without food or their uvb bulb burns out, whatever, they aren't going to drop dead. If you can't find someone to watch them then that's ok, you won't be gone long at all. I would leave the house thermostat ln a good, normal room temp so if for whatever reason their heat lights burn out they will be totally fine at 68-75°. I don't know how cold it's getting up there but just so the house temp doesn't plummet if it's 20° outside.

I agree w/ Olimpia - go enjoy your family, and thank you and your husband for your service - I also have family who was in the service - if I were closer, I would babysit for you , its the least we can do :)

Newbie here, i have been keeping chameleons for 5 months, i have been on a couple 2-3 days vacations, i just put some feeders inside, check the water reservoir on my automatic mister, check the timers on the lights, make sure the cages are locked and seal so no feeder gets loose, close windows to keep heat inside house (just one opened far from cage but its not cold enough where i live), and last but not least point my web cam at the cages, so i can check on them, the web cam is also for a reeftank i have and has come in handy for both of my hobbies, btw, if you leave for 4 days i highly doubt that your chams will drop dead, some people are just to paranoid, no offense to anybody, lol

Sana

I agree entirely about the paranoia thats exactly why I wouldn't leave mine. I would worry myself sick but that us just me, I honestly meant no offence or upset to the OP and can understand completely that she absolutely must do what is right for herself and her family. I will pm her to apologise fir any upset that I may have caused her as I did not mean any st all.

Think Kirsty has a lot of support here.

I am thinking that Kristy is under a lot of stress, and will hopefully realise you where just voicing your opinion Ziggy.

We all come from different walks of life, we all have various underlying pressures and anxiety's, and circumstances change fast.

Back
Top Bottom