Uvb

yoshi9

Will a UVB light be able to get through aluminum mesh? I heard it filters out some but is it enough to keep my chameleon healthy?

You will have no problems with aluminum mesh. Where you run into an issue with UVB not penetrating is usually with windows or window screens. But, the small aluminum mesh will not have any issues.

If you put foil inside the light hood (dull side facing the light) it will reflect more UVB into the cage. The foil works better than the crappy reflectors already in there. Someone on here did an experiment with a uvb meter one time showing how different screens and foil affected the output....can't remember who or when though. Anyway, that's what they found.

If you put foil inside the light hood (dull side facing the light) it will reflect more UVB into the cage. The foil works better than the crappy reflectors already in there. Someone on here did an experiment with a uvb meter one time showing how different screens and foil affected the output....can't remember who or when though. Anyway, that's what they found.

And it won't get to hot to catch the foil on fire and just normal house foil you would find at a store?

As a generalization, mesh screen will filter about 40-50% of the UVB energy. On average, use of some sort of reflector will just about double the UVB pointed downward versus using a bare tube with no reflector.

As a generalization, mesh screen will filter about 40-50% of the UVB energy. On average, use of some sort of reflector will just about double the UVB pointed downward versus using a bare tube with no reflector.

Alright, so would normal kitchen foil work?

Kevin (Summoner12) did readings with the aluminum foil. We have always heard that the matte side should face the light but I think we found that it didn't make a big difference. Maybe somebody can dig up the post again?

I have to try that hmm

Back
Top Bottom