UVB

I just received an Arcadia T5 6% UVB light in today but it turns out that it doesn't work... I am suppose to get my chameleon tomorrow will he be okay if as of right now I use the ZooMed UVB and Heat lighting Dual kit until the new order of the T5 comes in? Should be less than a week. Thank you!

When my power went out for 3 days last summer I brought his entire cage outside for 4-5 hours and he just hung out in the sun. If you have a backyard and can do the same so the chameleon is safe then I'd just do that. If not, I would aim for at least an hour, but that's just me. Can anyone else weigh in how much much sunlight is good for a days worth of UVB exposure?

2-3 hours is the usually recommendation but the more the merrier. Less than a week isn't too much cause for concern especially if you can take them outside. Just be mindful that new chameleons need time to adjust and it's not likely they will be okay with you handling them to transport them outside.

A petco worker gave me this light does it give UVB to my chameleon? He is 4 months old

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 60
sucks about the light, I bought my first one that was defective, had such good luck before that, where did u buy it

Last edited:
You can supplement 100% with repashy calcium plus(not the LOD version) For a few weeks/months till you acquire a new bulb. UVB is not some life support system. Any amount of "medium" d3 every feeding is good enough. 30min of full sun a day is good enough to not even need D3.

UVB IS CRITCIAL A WEEK OF A SUBSTITUTE LIGHT WON'T KILL THE CHAM THO, THATS WHY THE CHAMELEON KIT IS CALLED THE DEATH KIT, OOPS DIDNT MEAN to hit the cap lock, the dome has barely any UVB

A petco worker gave me this light does it give UVB to my chameleon? He is 4 months old
That does not seem to provide uvb, but even if it did (mercury vapor bulb), it wouldn’t be advised to use unless you have a solarmeter to monitor uvb levels. You need a linear T5 ho with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate levels of uvb except in a very narrow area 2-3” directly below them. I’m not sure if that bulb would be good for basking either...may get too hot. You don’t want temps above 80 and as little ones screen climb, you’ll need to elevate your basking bulb above the screen top. This is a fantastic resource for learning about chameleon keeping. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Sadly, the majority of pet stores give very poor advice on what your chameleon needs and too often we see the very sad end results here.

That does not seem to provide uvb, but even if it did (mercury vapor bulb), it wouldn’t be advised to use unless you have a solarmeter to monitor uvb levels. You need a linear T5 ho with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate levels of uvb except in a very narrow area 2-3” directly below them. I’m not sure if that bulb would be good for basking either...may get too hot. You don’t want temps above 80 and as little ones screen climb, you’ll need to elevate your basking bulb above the screen top. This is a fantastic resource for learning about chameleon keeping. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Sadly, the majority of pet stores give very poor advice on what your chameleon needs and too often we see the very sad end results here.
Employees of big box stores are unfortunately not well trained on proper husbandry and therefore thier mind set is on sales and selling what items they have in stock. Thier chameleon kits are an easy sale to customers who are a first time keeper as they advertise "everything you need" without having to explain things to customer.😠

Back
Top Bottom