Uvb?

vgaines

I know this may be a silly question but here goes. When I replace my beardies 10.0 UVB bulb can I use it on my veiled's cage? When I worked at Petsmart I had a customer tell me that they did this with theirs. This customer bred Jackson's and Bearded Dragons and told me that this is what they did with no problems. Well, I LOVE to save money but not at the expense of my babies.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...:D

Unless you have a really big cage yuo should probably stick with a 5.0 .. A 10.0 is alot stronger and meant for desert reptiles. You should also change these bulbs every 6 months as they tend to lose their juice. I would say no in. the end.

Unless you have a really big cage yuo should probably stick with a 5.0 .. A 10.0 is alot stronger and meant for desert reptiles. You should also change these bulbs every 6 months as they tend to lose their juice. I would say no in. the end.

Thanks for the fast reply...
I know that the 10.0 is for desert reptiles that is why I was wondering if I could use it for my chameleon when it(the light) reaches its 6 month mark. Instead of throwing it away I was wondering if it would still be putting out enough UVB to be useful on a chameleon cage. If this would work I would only have one bulb to replace every six months..

lightyourreptiles.com buy your lights from this dude tell him i sent you his name is Todd he sells Arcadia lights only guy in us that sells em they last way longer than 6 months for the same if not better price.

There have been some discussions recently about measuring UV output from bulbs. I've been considering investing in a meter.

If you had a meter to measure the output of the old 10.0, it might be something to investigate. It will likely turn out that it isn't a great solution, but you will never know for sure without testing.

I wouldn't use it as the output of a used 10.0 would be way less than a new 5.0. These uv tubes don't give out double the uv compared to a 5.0

I would always say go with a new tube.

Also a 10.0 isn't just for desert animals. I use all 10.0 bulbs and higher on my chameleons right from babies. If a cage is decorated correctly and the animal can move away from the uv as it would in the wild a 10.0 is fine. Inpersonally do not see how a bulb blocked by screen on a 4 feet cage can give oh what a panther or veiled needs and provide a good uv photo gradient.

People seem to scared to use a 10.0 but really it will neve be to strong as it is nowhere near the suns strength. People won't hesitate to buy a 6% T5 HO bulb because it is labelled 6% but fail to realise it gives out more uv than a 10.0 so if a 10.0 is too strong the 6% T5 HO would be way to strong

I use T5 HO 12% bulbs and have no problems because my cages are set up in a way the chameleon can self regulate as they would in the wild.

That's a lot more info than you asked for but just thought I would mention regarding that a 10.0 is just for desert animals.

I've been wondering about that, Bradley, since my enclosure is 6 ft tall with a screen top and heavily planted. I'm seriously considering buying a uv meter to gauge whether my 5.0 is sufficient or whether I need to upgrade to another bulb.

I've been wondering about that, Bradley, since my enclosure is 6 ft tall with a screen top and heavily planted. I'm seriously considering buying a uv meter to gauge whether my 5.0 is sufficient or whether I need to upgrade to another bulb.

Unless the chameleon sits directly under the bulb all day i personally feel he will kot be getting the uv he needs. I would use at least a 10.0 or a 12% T5 HO bulb. With these HO T5 bulbs it is recommended the bulb covers three quaryers of the cage to allow for a uv gradient in an area the full length if the cage with a uv gradient as you go down the cage under the bulb as you travel down wards.

I am building Rebel a new home this summer that will be 4' tall X 4' long X 1.5' deep. At this time I am using a CFL 5.0 . I want to go to a linear tube so what size should I use? Is it ok to have one side of the enclosure not lit up by UVB and maybe just a plant light on that side or does the light need to be 4' long? Would I need a 10.0 for a cage that deep? I will have a lot of live plants in that cage...two hibiscus trees, a ficus tree, and a large pathos hanging from the top.

thanks for the input:D

I am building Rebel a new home this summer that will be 4' tall X 4' long X 1.5' deep. At this time I am using a CFL 5.0 . I want to go to a linear tube so what size should I use? Is it ok to have one side of the enclosure not lit up by UVB and maybe just a plant light on that side or does the light need to be 4' long? Would I need a 10.0 for a cage that deep? I will have a lot of live plants in that cage...two hibiscus trees, a ficus tree, and a large pathos hanging from the top.

thanks for the input:D

If the bulb is a T8 go the full length
If the bulb is T5 then three quarters if the cage is adequate but you can run it the full length if you wish

If using T8 a 10.0 reptisun will be best
I would use the 12% T5 but many people use the 6% T5 with success.

Back
Top Bottom