uvb wattage and correct bulbs

tanneruv

so i just got a Jackson chameleon and he hasnt had uvb light for 3 days because i dont know which bulb / lamp to buy, so can anyone link a cheap bulb and lamp for my jackson chameleon also i put pictures so you guys could see the size of the enclosure and determine how strong the bulb has to be, also im using a regular bulb for heat so i just need help with the uvb and lamp fixture please help, oh and i also put pictures of the chameleon enclosure size and the bulbs i was thinking about getting so please tell me if it is safe for him and i dont know if the bulb is too strong because my jackson chameleon stays close to the top and his cage isnt too big but at the same time i felt like the 5.0 is too weak and also is the flukers clamp lamp meant for uvb bulbs or heat lamps because i was gonna use it for the uvb bulb anyways rhanks for the help!
1E0E3F6E-4788-4E99-91B3-969ED4E88051.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BA656E7-75F2-4A74-ACE8-BC5EED6C0ADD.png
    0BA656E7-75F2-4A74-ACE8-BC5EED6C0ADD.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 2558EEBE-5379-4F4A-8646-BC0405282CCD.png
    2558EEBE-5379-4F4A-8646-BC0405282CCD.png
    173 KB · Views: 82
That bulb is not sufficient for a chameleon. You want nothing less than a T5 5.0 or 6% (Arcadia) linear fluorescent. A standard household incandescent (not LED) is fine for basking, but it should be mounted overhead—not from the side.

That bulb is not sufficient for a chameleon. You want nothing less than a T5 5.0 or 6% (Arcadia) linear fluorescent. A standard household incandescent (not LED) is fine for basking, but it should be mounted overhead—not from the side.

wait so it the clamp lamp fine?

The clamp lamp is fine for holding your incandescent basking lamp, but it should be mounted overhead—not from the side. For UVB, you want a T5 HO linear tube—not a compact coil.

Please don't try to do this on the cheap. Read the links Beman supplied and the section on Lighting in the Resources section on the top menu.

In fact, read everything in the Resources section.

Last edited:
Also just to make sure there's no other problems please fill out this form as it covers ALL aspects of husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

um cause its actually a desk lamp and the arm doesnt extend high enough but im getting a uvb t5 Ho fixture soon

The clamp lamp is fine for holding your incandescent basking lamp, but it should be mounted overhead—not from the side. For UVB, you want a T5 HO linear tube—not a compact coil.

Please don't try to do this on the cheap. Read the links Beman supplied and the section on Lighting in the Resources section on the top menu.

In fact, read everything in the Resources section.
so i am building a new enclosure out of metal screening, its very sturdy and its about 3-4 ft tall but its a cylinder so what type of brand uvb bulb do you recommend also what brand do you recomend for the lamp that the bulb needs please show pictures or link it thanks

Attachments

• DD33DC22-C11F-4E4F-9AEB-618AD3C393A6.jpeg
    DD33DC22-C11F-4E4F-9AEB-618AD3C393A6.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 97
I answered you in your other thread. It's easier if you keep one thread going so we can follow things better.

The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light. For a basking light a regular incandescent household bulb is fine...wattage that puts the basking temperature in the right range.

@JacksJill should be able to give you better info about a jacksons than I can.

I answered you in your other thread. It's easier if you keep one thread going so we can follow things better.

The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light. For a basking light a regular incandescent household bulb is fine...wattage that puts the basking temperature in the right range.

@JacksJill should be able to give you better info about a jacksons than I can.
is it fine if i use any sort of lamp even though its meant for uvb bulbs

okay i just checked on petsmart and its $56 its the zoomed reptile terrarium hood and i think im just gonna steal it, i hate stealing but thats the only thing i can think off

okay i just checked on petsmart and its $56 its the zoomed reptile terrarium hood and i think im just gonna steal it, i hate stealing but thats the only thing i can think off
All the stores only do counter service only, so how would you steal it?

You can buy cheap hoods at hardware type stores or stores like Walmart...it just has to fit the UVB tube light properly.

Stealing is not a good thing. It's a crime....as you know.

Back
Top Bottom