uvb/uva light

I got this month or 2 month chameleon yesterday, she is shedding skin i think she is almost done since i can only see the dead skin on her head, but my question is is a uvb light really necessary? i have her a light and heat halogen mini dome from zilla and it keeps her temperature around 70 to 80F, she is in my room and everyday i open the window and some daylight goes to the terrarium but not much, also its a glass terrarium. Thank you

No uvb... itll suffer quickly.. 100% necessary. They need every moment of light time uvb.
.. a few quick hours of sunlight wont be enough...assuming you dont have pure sunlight coming through the open window 12 hours a day with no shade

No uvb... itll suffer quickly.. 100% necessary. They need every moment of light time uvb.
.. a few quick hours of sunlight wont be enough...assuming you dont have pure sunlight coming through the open window 12 hours a day with no shade
can she wait until friday afternoon without it? becuase all my local stores bulbs are way to expensive

can she wait until friday afternoon without it? becuase all my local stores bulbs are way to expensive

Just make sure it gets a lot of sun in the meantime... im not 100% sure how long it can go without one hopefully more experienced person can give you a timeline. But i know that the sunlight through a window will not do it needs to be pure sunlight non obstructed..

I hate to ask, but why did you get a chameleon if you can't afford to get the proper lighting for it? Without UVB, its bones will become brittle and it'll get MBD before long.

I hate to ask, but why did you get a chameleon if you can't afford to get the proper lighting for it? Without UVB, its bones will become brittle and it'll get MBD before long.
You right, but i do have money to afford it I just dont want to spent 60 more dollars because the one that i bought are the exact same but they are a good price and they getting here today afternoon or tomorrow morning

Glass filters out 90% of UVB light. You bought the chameleon, they are expensive animals to keep. A few hours of direct sunlight = a day under a linear uvb.

Can you put the Cham in direct unfiltered sunlight for 3 hrs a day? That’s the only way to get around buying the bulb. If not, suck it up and buy the bulb.

I got this month or 2 month chameleon yesterday, she is shedding skin i think she is almost done since i can only see the dead skin on her head, but my question is is a uvb light really necessary? i have her a light and heat halogen mini dome from zilla and it keeps her temperature around 70 to 80F, she is in my room and everyday i open the window and some daylight goes to the terrarium but not much, also its a glass terrarium. Thank you
Can we review what type of Cham you have and how you plan to care fore it? I’m seeing some red flags...

Can we review what type of Cham you have and how you plan to care fore it? I’m seeing some red flags...
It's a veiled chameleon, I have been reading and watching videos to know how to take care of her, I'm also going to buy or build a bigger terrarium so she can have more space and I already got a uvb bulb I'm about to installed it

You right, but i do have money to afford it I just dont want to spent 60 more dollars because the one that i bought are the exact same but they are a good price and they getting here today afternoon or tomorrow morning
Wait, I'm not understanding... So you're saying you DO have UVB lights already? Because it not, they're absolutely not the same thing.

I couldnt answer that question everyone, how long can a chameleon last without uvb? After how soon will problems and even death arise?

I don't have a definitive answer to that question. I know they can go a day or two without sun or UVB it does rain out in the real world. I don't know or want to find out how long they can survive beyond that.

You are probably right. If your bulb blows and you didn't have the foresight to keep a replacement on hand you have 24-48 hours to replace it without doing lifelong damage. That is as far as I'm willing to go on this.

Back
Top Bottom