UVB UVA Lens

lampshade

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I have a horizontal aquarium style fixture with a plastic lens cover, inside houses the lamp fixture. Is it necessary to remove this lens fixture in order to get the full spectrum of UVB AND UVA lighting? I'm asking this because (and here's where I feel dumb) it tells me on the lighting fixture itself, in order to get UVB and UVA output, I need to remove that lens. But it seems like it would keep water, dust out and keep the light tube in place and secure. And I've seen other lighting fixtures that have the lens on.

A little bit of UV radiation might make it through the plastic, but not nearly enough to meet the needs of a basking reptile. Remove it. Actually, unless you are aiming your spray nozzles right at the bulb it won't get that wet, a hood will protect it from a lot of dust, and as the bulb doesn't get dangerously hot it isn't likely to explode when droplet hit it.

Alright, I just removed it. The lighting is more brighter and the lens was all yellow. I hope it's not overkill for my herps.

What type of bulbs are you using? Check the info on the ends of the tube for brand info. Are they fish aquarium bulbs? Might be the wrong part of the spectrum for herps.

Reptisun 5.0 24" tube. It was odd, because the lighting fixture had the lens as a screw in like it was meant to be attached while in use. It looks like many aquarium lighting fixtures where it has that glass splashguard but mine is about 3mm of plastic. The reptisun is brand new and purchased a week ago. The lens is yellow, mainly from all the UVA and UVB. At once it was clear, hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom