UVB tubes, and veiled chams

Psychobunny

Avid Member
Both of my veiled chams do this; they claw and scratch at the screen ceiling directly under their Arcadia HO UV light.
My other chams do not do this, and they have the same bulb.

It's the 6% HO 24'' Arcadia.

When measured via the Solarmeter, from inside the cage and level with where the cham would be, I get reading of 5 (loosing a little going threw the
black screen.

They are stretching on their tip toes to scratch like they crave more UV!!??

Is it possible that veiled require higher % UVB??

What if I tried a HO 10% instead!!.

They are a measured 4'' from the UVB source.

Any ideas? Do your veiled do this too??

And no, it's NOT the cage size, if they had a 10' tall cage, they would probably still do it!! (EXAGERATED GUESS ALLERT!!!!)

If you are getting a reading of 5 at 4", what are you getting at 12 or 20"?

I suspect that anything less than 140mw at 4" would be almost useless for this basking sun loving species.

Screen doesn't just block a little bit of UVB it blocks nearly 50 percent.:eek:

Are you using a high output fixture? Your numbers don't sound right based on my experience.

The 12% Arcadia bulb at 4" after the filtering because of the screen reads 110-140 mw.

Here is a link that may help you.
www.chameleonforums.com/definitive-lighting-thread-everything-you-really-need-know-80869/

I have used the 12% T5 bulbs on beliefs with great success and now on my panther pair.

I would change to the 12% and see how they react. As long as the cage is setup correctly then they can hide from uv if they wish or be directly in it.

You may wish to clarify because I think (??) you are using a 6.5 meter... right?
If you are using a 6.2... that would be a low reading.

Thanks!
Todd

Both of my veiled chams do this; they claw and scratch at the screen ceiling directly under their Arcadia HO UV light.
My other chams do not do this, and they have the same bulb.

It's the 6% HO 24'' Arcadia.

When measured via the Solarmeter, from inside the cage and level with where the cham would be, I get reading of 5 (loosing a little going threw the
black screen.

They are stretching on their tip toes to scratch like they crave more UV!!??

Is it possible that veiled require higher % UVB??

What if I tried a HO 10% instead!!.

They are a measured 4'' from the UVB source.

Any ideas? Do your veiled do this too??

And no, it's NOT the cage size, if they had a 10' tall cage, they would probably still do it!! (EXAGERATED GUESS ALLERT!!!!)

I have used the 12% T5 bulbs on beliefs with great success and now on my panther pair.

I would change to the 12% and see how they react. As long as the cage is setup correctly then they can hide from uv if they wish or be directly in it.

Hi Bradly,

Yes!
IF they have shade, many folks are doing well in *larger* cages with the 12%.

But they are a bit potent on small cages, or cages that are real Bare bones as far as foliage goes.

Thank you.
Todd

Hi Bradly,

Yes!

But they are a bit potent on small cages, or cages that are real Bare bones as far as foliage goes.

Thank you.
Todd
I use them on cl reptibreezes an have used them on mediums whilst panthers have been growing on. This has all been advised by John at Arcadia.

Hi Bradly,

Yes!

Thank you.
Todd

Thanks Todd, it is the newer model Solarmeter and I just got that bulb from you last month.
The meter reading at 5'' without screen is 6 but with the screen in between
the light and the meter, it's like 4.8 or 5.
I dont know what units this meter reads in ??

I have high output fixtures, so do I need higher % UV?? like 10 or 12?

Come on someone, I am anxious for an answer ;)

I noticed one of my veileds clawing at the top of the cage again. So I
turned off the UVB and he instantly stoped and clamed down on his
branch.
I not know what to make of it.
Both my veiled chams do this clawing at the ceiling thing, right below the
UVB fixture.
Does it mean anything? Are these guys trying to tell me something?

It reads in UVI (UV INDEX). You want the reading to be a 5 at the top of the tank and a 1.0 2/3 from the bottom if you can.

the uv index is µW/cm² divided by 40 but for indoor lighting is more of 30.

6.0 is a sunny day in the northern hemisphere. 9.0 is a VERY sunny day in Madagascar, but no cham would be running around in full sun in the middle of summer.

Back
Top Bottom