UVB swings.

Today I took Lenny outside for some sun. I brought my meter with just to see what kind of UVB she would be getting. After a few minutes I noticed the sun coming in and out from behind clouds. It occurred to me this would be a good way to demonstrate how cloud cover affects the UVB our animals receive. With the sun coming and going from behind the clouds I recorded the UVB swings with my camera filming my meter.

The camera I have is what I call a "POS PAS"... (piece of Sh** point and shoot), it is old and I don't know the settings that well when it comes to the movie camera functions....... so the first few videos were only 30 seconds and I found it very annoying.... After some playing around I was able to record a couple of minutes as the sun came out from behind some clouds.

Prior to the start of this video the meter was reading all the way down into the mid 50μW/cm² and ran all the way up to the 270'sμW/cm²

If you watch Lenny around the 25 second mark of the video you'll see her spot some people walking toward us and she shrinks up and watches them walk by.... She doesn't really like people she hasn't met before :eek:

Last edited:
Who were the people? They seemed completely oblivious to Lenny!

I have no idea who they are... never seen them before either lol. I assume they live in my apt. complext. I had a kid walk by and look at the tree and me and i waved and he just kept walking... didn't notice her either. Most people don't unless I am holding her... how can you miss a 20" green chameleon on someones arm :D

Hey Kevin, was wondering if you could possibly get some readings off a compact bulb?

Curious to see how bad they are in comparison...

Hey Kevin, was wondering if you could possibly get some readings off a compact bulb?

Curious to see how bad they are in comparison...

The UVB meter won't be able to tell you how bad a CFL is compared to a linear lamp by the type of light it projects, because the meter only responds to light in the range of 280-320nm. It can't pick out each wave length and read them individually, it reads as a blanket. So this meter really is only good for looking at the amount of useful UVB for D3 production and really should only be used to monitor the strength of your lights as they age. It won't tell you anything very specific about the quality of the light, more the quantity of UVB.

So you could compare the amount of UVB the CFL puts out at different distances and compare that to a linear tube lamp. But it wouldn't tell you 'the CFL is projecting light in the UVC range', if that is what you mean by 'bad'.

Wow! you wanna hear something crazy? I went out this morning at 9:30 am when it was just clouding up in my area - and I got the same 66 reading on mine. What time did you take that 66 reading?

Very good video showing the incredible UVB ranges that can occur in just a very short time.

Wow! you wanna hear something crazy? I went out this morning at 9:30 am when it was just clouding up in my area - and I got the same 66 reading on mine. What time did you take that 66 reading?

Very good video showing the incredible UVB ranges that can occur in just a very short time.

No prob Toni.

I was outside around 2pm yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom