UVB setup wrong?

Anniel

Hey, so I have had a 3 1/2 month old panther chameleon tonight he has been just sitting on a stick when he usually at this time of night is moving around. He has a zilla 25 UVB slimline and it came with a acrylic plastic or lens/cover over the bulb. Should I take the lens off? I read somewhere that the lens prevent UVB rays from getting to him. Can it be harmful if I take it off? Thanks;)

Take the plastic off, or get a different fixture. The uvb will be diminished through plastic/glass. Even screen decreases your uvb about 30 percent. Good luck with your little one. Just ask if you have questions, the people on here are great.
Scott

Screen does decrease UVB greatly, glass and plastic reduce it to NOTHING! Please remove plastic or glass that is blocking the UVB from getting to your lil man. :(

Thank You for your quick reply!
the UVB is on top of a screen cage. do you think the 25 UVB is enough UVB for him now that I have removed the plastic cover? thanks.

To be honest I am not familiar with that particular type of light and would have to look it up. I have always used zoomed. Like someone else mentioned on here most of the popular lights are made by Exo-terra, zoomed, and arcadia. I will see if I can find the light that you mention.

Your light should work just fine as long as it is not to old and don't forget to replace the bulb 1 to 2 times a year as needed.

To be honest I am not familiar with that particular type of light and would have to look it up. I have always used zoomed. Like someone else mentioned on here most of the popular lights are made by Exo-terra, zoomed, and arcadia. I will see if I can find the light that you mention.

In these brands you mentioned, what is the appropriate UVB wattage?
Thanks

You do not necessarily care about wattage when referring to UVB. If this were our heat source then wattage would be more of a factor. Different lights produce different amounts of UVb based on the build of the bulb. You will notice most companies use 5.0 and 10.0 and others will use percentages. Depending on the size of your cage and foliage would be what I would base my need on. 5.0's, 10.0s and 6% will work for most chams. The light you buy will come with an index to show you where placement of the light should be (distance from cage). I would start with their recommendation and work it to suit your needs.

You do not necessarily care about wattage when referring to UVB. If this were our heat source then wattage would be more of a factor. Different lights produce different amounts of UVb based on the build of the bulb. You will notice most companies use 5.0 and 10.0 and others will use percentages. Depending on the size of your cage and foliage would be what I would base my need on. 5.0's, 10.0s and 6% will work for most chams. The light you buy will come with an index to show you where placement of the light should be (distance from cage). I would start with their recommendation and work it to suit your needs.

thanks so much for the info! :)

Back
Top Bottom