UVB riser for top screen climber?

suprdude

Avid Member
I'm close to finally getting my first chameleon. I've heard that some chameleons climb upside down at the inside top of the screen enclosure and therefore are prone to UVB burn. I know there are light risers (Repti-Riser), but I'd rather not because my custom enclosure would make this very difficult and also the UVB light wouldn't penetrate as deeply. Should I wait to see if he's a screen climber? It would be a hassle to change the height of the highest perch later. I assume this is less of a problem for the heat light because he will move if he's too hot, but he can't see the invisible UVB.

If you get a juvenile it will be a screen climber. At least that’s the consensus here. I have and use the Reptirisers because my Jackson was climbing the ceiling of his cage. Now he hasn’t done it in like a week so if he continues to stay off the ceiling I will take them down. You have to be careful with the heat light as well because chameleons don’t always seem to feel the burning and can and do get burned!

If you get a juvenile it will be a screen climber. At least that’s the consensus here. I have and use the Reptirisers because my Jackson was climbing the ceiling of his cage. Now he hasn’t done it in like a week so if he continues to stay off the ceiling I will take them down. You have to be careful with the heat light as well because chameleons don’t always seem to feel the burning and can and do get burned!
Thanks, that's very helpful

While personally not experienced with many little ones, I do know they all seem to love exploring the screen tops. I think my adults would too if they weren’t too heavy. I just use little wire baskets from the dollar store to elevate my lights. Not pretty, but inexpensive and works great for me.

I'm close to finally getting my first chameleon. I've heard that some chameleons climb upside down at the inside top of the screen enclosure
Some? :ROFLMAO:

... and therefore are prone to UVB burn.
Mmmm... IDK. Mine used the ceiling as his own personal superhighway for getting around. He'd hang under the UVB for short periods, but there were never any burns. But I don't doubt it happens.

I know there are light risers (Repti-Riser), but I'd rather not because my custom enclosure would make this very difficult and also the UVB light wouldn't penetrate as deeply. Should I wait to see if he's a screen climber?
No need. He's a chameleon, right? He's a screen climber. ;)

It would be a hassle to change the height of the highest perch later. I assume this is less of a problem for the heat light because he will move if he's too hot, but he can't see the invisible UVB.
Maybe, but 💩 happens.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1612921/?q=basking+burns&o=relevance

You & I may not be able to see UV 😢, but chameleons CAN. ;)
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Can+chameleons+see+UV?

Though it may seem a pain now, I'd assume he's going to screen-climb, and make any adjustments to lighting, basking perch, etc. now—or make it easier to do later.

Though it may seem a pain now, I'd assume he's going to screen-climb, and make any adjustments to lighting, basking perch, etc. now—or make it easier to do later.
Thanks for all your notes. It confirms that these are the most challenging animals to keep!

Thanks for all your notes.
Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

It confirms that these are the most challenging animals to keep!

😁

Back
Top Bottom