UVB questions

Leppy

Hello friends - 3 questions for the experts:

1. Do "power compact" bulbs like this one: http://tinyurl.com/y97urdg suffer from the same characteristics that have made CF bulbs so despised in these forums?

2. Do all fluorescent bulbs produce UVB light, or does the package need to specifically say "UVB"?

3. If my cham's cage is right next to a window, with full exposure to sunlight all day, is a UVB light even necessary?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Leppy

1. Do "power compact" bulbs like this one: http://tinyurl.com/y97urdg suffer from the same characteristics that have made CF bulbs so despised in these forums?
I think these aren't good, but I'm not sure.
2. Do all fluorescent bulbs produce UVB light, or does the package need to specifically say "UVB"?
They need to be reptile UVB bulbs. Reptisun 5.0 18" linear tubes are the best
3. If my cham's cage is right next to a window, with full exposure to sunlight all day, is a UVB light even necessary?
Yes, a light is necessary. Modern windows filter out the UVB.

Hello friends - 3 questions for the experts:

The reason CFL lamps have a bad wrap, is that Zoo Med and a couple others didn't make a safe formula. CFL lamps for general use aren't designed to have the levels of UV in them that a reptile light would have. The lamp you posted a link to seems to have a ligh level of UVA if I am reading the spectrograph correctly.

Zoo Med has reformulated their CFL and it is 'safe' if used correctly.

I am going to post some results of a test I am working on with a 10. CFL, that is of the 'old' formula. I want to demonstrate how powerful they are to reinforce the importance of following the instructions, and being sure you have the 'new' style.

I found UVB being produced from a brand of household CLF lamps... but it wasn't much and who knows what other UV rays it is producing.... So, If you are looking to find an alternative to reptile lamps, don't, unless you have a spectrometer and can determine the actual spectra content of the lamp to ensure you are providing beneficial UV rays for your animal. Zoo Med's 5.0 linear tube lamp is tried and true.

YES. Glass and plastic do no allow UVB rays through. Your animal will need UVB, it is vital to their production of Vit. D3.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Leppy

Red up on the UV Guide You will find lots of useful data here.

Thanks

Thank you both for your helpful and insightful remarks. It is astonishing how widely used inappropriate bulbs are. I've always used a Zilla Incandescent Day Blue bulb alongside the UVB bulb for heating and UVA purposes, mostly because it seemed to pinpoint my temperature target closer than any other bulb I tried. Is this an appropriate bulb, or should I be reconsidering this as well (to be used in conjunction with the 18" Reptisun 5.0)?

It should be noted that until I happened upon these forums, I had been using a Repti Glo 26W compact UVB bulb, on the advice of a pet shop proprietor. Luckily this has only been for a brief period.

Thanks for your continued help.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your helpful and insightful remarks. It is astonishing how widely used inappropriate bulbs are. I've always used a Zilla Incandescent Day Blue bulb alongside the UVB bulb for heating and UVA purposes, mostly because it seemed to pinpoint my temperature target closer than any other bulb I tried. Is this an appropriate bulb, or should I be reconsidering this as well (to be used in conjunction with the 18" Reptisun 5.0)?

Thanks for your continued help.

I personally never use the day blue incandescent bulb.. But, I think I have seen them in Petsmart/ Petco reptile department..
I remember grabbing the product and think to myself "What a way to rip off people."

I think they are nothing more than an incandescent bulb in a fancy packaging.
Nothing that a normal bulb you can buy at homedepot or Walmart can't do.

Here is another link for you to read up about lighting that might supplement the one already written in UVguide site. The articles have 4 parts.
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2009/10/dr.html

I personally never use the day blue incandescent bulb.. But, I think I have seen them in Petsmart/ Petco reptile department..
I remember grabbing the product and think to myself "What a way to rip off people."

I think they are nothing more than an incandescent bulb in a fancy packaging.
Nothing that a normal bulb you can buy at homedepot or Walmart can't do.

So are you saying that a standard incandescent bulb is the optimum way to supplement the UVB bulb to provide UVA and heat? Is additional UVA even a concern in the presence of the Reptisun 5.0? Basically, what's more or less considered to be the best bulb situation at this point in time - Reptisun 5.0, combined with what else?

So are you saying that a standard incandescent bulb is the optimum way to supplement the UVB bulb to provide UVA and heat? Is additional UVA even a concern in the presence of the Reptisun 5.0? Basically, what's more or less considered to be the best bulb situation at this point in time - Reptisun 5.0, combined with what else?

A standard household lamp works just fine. The lamps you see in stores for reptiles are not anything special.

Edit:

This is how I do mine...

lightexample.jpg

I use 50w Halogen PAR20 flood lamps.

Depends on how you define "Best." :):)
If you read the interview, I asked dr. Frances about Metal Halide.
So far, the MH seems to be quite promising in replicating a very good lighting condition for solar powered reptile. However, as of now, the technology still seems a bit unstable for herp hobbyist.

The safest bulb combination, imho, is Reptisun 5.0 Linear, a proper wattage standard incandescent bulb, and a fluorescent plant light (optional for plant optimal growth). It's not the best and far from ideal, but it is the standard and seem to do the job well if teamed with proper supplementation.

And, of course, you can always expose your chameleon to the best bulb available for free.. which is the sun :D:D
anytime the weather permits, take him outside. There will be a huge difference between chameleon that never gets to enjoy basking in the real sun with the one that gets the opportunity.

A standard household lamp works just fine. The lamps you see in stores for reptiles are not anything special.

Hmm.. well I suppose "not anything special" is better than "dangerous." I guess the truly unfortunate thing about all that marketing BS is that it distracts people from focusing on the things that are actually important, at the animal's expense. Anyway, thanks for the info!

I guess the truly unfortunate thing about all that marketing BS is that it distracts people from focusing on the things that are actually important, at the animal's expense.

Absolutely! Can't say it any better than that.

Hmm.. well I suppose "not anything special" is better than "dangerous." I guess the truly unfortunate thing about all that marketing BS is that it distracts people from focusing on the things that are actually important, at the animal's expense. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Absolutely! Can't say it any better than that.

Agreed!

IE; 'reptiles can't see red, so they won't see this red 'night time' heat lamp' And they pitch it to you like they even need a night time lamp to begin with...... it's called 'upselling' :eek:

Remember, at night they don't need heat unless it drops below 55 regularly. (for veileds and panthers..... in general...)

So who wants to see what a 10.0 CFL lamp from Zoo Med in a Zoo Med 'deep dome' looks like on the meter?

well too bad!

At 2" the meter won't read the output, it's too much UVB.

IMG_1381.jpg

At 2.5" I could get a reading..... Mind you, you don't see much higher than 350 on the meter in mid summer sun light.......

IMG_1382.jpg

3"

IMG_1383.jpg

4"

IMG_1384.jpg

5"

IMG_1385.jpg

6"

IMG_1386.jpg

7"

IMG_1387.jpg

8"

IMG_1388.jpg

Here is the 'deep dome' fixture....

IMG_1390.jpg

The lamp...

IMG_1391.jpg

"The visible red light has a wavelength of about 650 nm"...
http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html#red

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l16771426423j044/

On the other hand...
"Chameleons do have a "red" cone however, and can see every color in the spectrum, from UVA to red."...
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/

I mixed it up then. I thought she had told me the info in the sentance before your quote; Red looks bright; it's just not a distinctive color to them.

BTW the link you posted takes you to part IV... the info you were referencing was from part II. lol I was reading through Part IV and im like 'what is Linda talking about......:confused:' but I found it. :D

summoner12 - please clarify, are you using a 6500k bulb (I'm assuming it's the naturesun) in addition to, or in lieu of the reptisun 5.0 bulb being recommended?

Also, what kind of hood do you use to power the UVB bulb(s)? Howsabout the 50w Halogen PAR20 flood lamps? And lastly, do I understand correctly that you have more than 1 halogen?

Thanks!

summoner12 - please clarify, are you using a 6500k bulb (I'm assuming it's the naturesun) in addition to, or in lieu of the reptisun 5.0 bulb being recommended?

Also, what kind of hood do you use to power the UVB bulb(s)? Howsabout the 50w Halogen PAR20 flood lamps? And lastly, do I understand correctly that you have more than 1 halogen?

Thanks!

I use a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 (depending on the aplication) along side a 6500K GE branded lamp. The naturesun is 6500K lamp... so if the Zoo Med costs more than what you'll find 6500K lamps for at Lowe's or HD, don't waste your money ;). I think Lowe's is two 48" lamps for something like $6.50? or... somewhere around there.

The hood I use...... depends. I have three different... well wait four different ballasts that I use. One is a dimmable ballast on loan while I do R&D work, and it is installed into a Lowe's $13 fixture. The three others are either the HD $20 shop light with the grey painted reflector, another fixture was a T12 fixture that I converted to T8 using ballasts from HD that cost about $23 each and the third type of fixture is from Lowe's $13 fixture. All of these are T8 fixtures/ballasts. I no longer use T12.

As for Halegon. I use one lamp for each basking spot, one per cage. I use several basking spots in my free range and I use the PAR20 Spot in a couple of places in the free range. I only use flood PAR20 lamps on cages. The lamp creates too much heat to have the beam focused on your cham, you WILL see burn no daught.

Just a note. If you are going to use the PAR20 Halegon on young chams, be VERY sure you set them up right. Be very sure of you basking lamp temps. You don't want litte chammy climbing on the top of the cage and parking his butt under this lamp. :eek:

Yea, I'm guessing you've got the PAR20s clipped on somehow or on stands or tracks, which my current situation won't allow .. but I'm trying to zero in on a new enclosure which will allow me to get away from dome fixtures. Anyway, thanks for the breakdown, very useful.

I use a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 (depending on the aplication) along side a 6500K GE branded lamp. The naturesun is 6500K lamp... so if the Zoo Med costs more than what you'll find 6500K lamps for at Lowe's or HD, don't waste your money ;). I think Lowe's is two 48" lamps for something like $6.50? or... somewhere around there.

The hood I use...... depends. I have three different... well wait four different ballasts that I use. One is a dimmable ballast on loan while I do R&D work, and it is installed into a Lowe's $13 fixture. The three others are either the HD $20 shop light with the grey painted reflector, another fixture was a T12 fixture that I converted to T8 using ballasts from HD that cost about $23 each and the third type of fixture is from Lowe's $13 fixture. All of these are T8 fixtures/ballasts. I no longer use T12.

As for Halegon. I use one lamp for each basking spot, one per cage. I use several basking spots in my free range and I use the PAR20 Spot in a couple of places in the free range. I only use flood PAR20 lamps on cages. The lamp creates too much heat to have the beam focused on your cham, you WILL see burn no daught.

Just a note. If you are going to use the PAR20 Halegon on young chams, be VERY sure you set them up right. Be very sure of you basking lamp temps. You don't want litte chammy climbing on the top of the cage and parking his butt under this lamp. :eek:

summoner12 - are your 6500K and Reptisun fixtures suspended above the cages, or sitting right on them?

Back
Top Bottom