UVB questions ?

Again, what I just said is not meant as an argument against supplementing dietary d3, but merely to answer the question, “why bother with uvb?” My regime includes no dietary d3, and this works for me. Others successfully use the two-pronged approach, and that works for them.

I still like the folk that keep them outside 6-9 months out of the year, and YOLO it the others, (maybe with some D3?).

Here’s the problem: .... as far as I know, there isn’t a firm answer to the question “exactly how much d3 does a chameleon need?” We have some tried and tested supplement regimes that work well, but we don’t know whether these are perfect,
AFAIK, same applies to humans. There are RDAs, but some of them are known to have changed as medical knowledge has, and every individual is different as far as how much they may need.
how much d3 do we need? (various articles & opinions)

I don't see why the same kind of diversity wouldn't apply to chameleons or other species—just in smaller amounts & deviations. :)

Would that climate permit, but where I live we don't have a "climate"—only "weather." :rolleyes:

Had one guy with an iggy with a really LOOOOOOOOOng cage with half on the outside of the house and half in the garage with a shop light and outdoor hard plastic heating pad. he got an extra 2 months of outdoor cage time with that. Just have to check each evening that the iggy is sleeping in the garage.

This got off track

But for the argument.
Supplementing D3 you have to be on target. Too much is bad too little is bad.

Using UVB as the only source of D3 their body will only make what they need. Keeping a natural balance. But now you have to make sure they have enough UV to do their job without getting burned.

The difference is we have a way to measure UV, but D3 supplement is only guess work at best. There is now way to accurately measure. For those that have found their balance it can work.

I prefer natural where possible.

Back
Top Bottom