UVB Question

ju5t1n

Hello Everyone,

I had a questions on the UVB,

I'm going to be house sitting for my mom to take care of her dog and my grandma's cat, But I was thinking of taking them with me so I don't have to drive back and foward and was wondering if I could go 4 days with out the UVB light. I'm still going to have their basking lamp/heat domes on.

Hello Everyone,

I had a questions on the UVB,

I'm going to be house sitting for my mom to take care of her dog and my grandma's cat, But I was thinking of taking them with me so I don't have to drive back and foward and was wondering if I could go 4 days with out the UVB light. I'm still going to have their basking lamp/heat domes on.

If you can put them outside in the sun it wont be a problem. As long as the outside temps dont get hotter than thier normal basking temp. I have gone a few days with out a uvb once when my lamp broke and i had to order a new one, and had no ill side effects, but I didnt want to and I was worried the whole time.

Don't mean to hijack the thread! but, can any of you guys let me know if you house your UV light inside or outside of the cage? iam aware of the factors involved in blocking UV light getting through to the cage (mesh, glass, perspex, etc etc), but i can't seem to get a Definitive answer without a UV meter, which is on my to get list!

No problem Matt!!! Oh and to answer your question a little better. I use a 5.0 exo terra 18 inches with the fluorescent hood/fixture wrapped in tin foil on top of/outside of the screened cage with about 6 inches from his vines.

Here's the weather where I live.
Thursday 74, Friday 72, Saturday 70, Sunday 72
Gotta love So-Cal!!!
So ya they are going to be playing outside for sure!!!
:D

No problem Matt!!! Oh and to answer your question a little better. I use a 5.0 exo terra 18 inches with the fluorescent hood/fixture wrapped in tin foil on top of/outside of the screened cage with about 6 inches from his vines.

Here's the weather where I live.
Thursday 74, Friday 72, Saturday 70, Sunday 72
Gotta love So-Cal!!!
So ya they are going to be playing outside for sure!!!
:D

Going without UV for 4 days won't be a problem. UV exposure works over the long term, not day by day. Just consider that putting a cham outdoors if it has never been out might freak it out unless you have a sheltered, quiet, safe place for the cage that offers the cham hiding places out of view, and you keep close track of the temps, any potential threats like cats, dogs, kids, or large birds like crows.

Going without UV for 4 days won't be a problem. UV exposure works over the long term, not day by day. Just consider that putting a cham outdoors if it has never been out might freak it out unless you have a sheltered, quiet, safe place for the cage that offers the cham hiding places out of view, and you keep close track of the temps, any potential threats like cats, dogs, kids, or large birds like crows.

Yeah that's what I was thinking a few days shouldn't be a problem but I'm back at my moms with the UVB lights decided to take them cause I had room. I take them out side like once a week and read a magazine or something let them free range for a hour or two on a hibiscus I have out back.

Matt3504, light your reptile site sponsor has given us a great deal on uv meter thru the end of June. Might want to contact Todd and let him know you have one on your wish list!

Back
Top Bottom