Uvb placement + tips

Hi and welcome so going to try and give feed back . Supplements so you will want to give a calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then say 1st and 16th say repti vite multivitamin +d3 . Imo lower basking temp to 85f you will want to add more branches as there is is not enough to make the most of the space in your enclosure the branch below your uvb will need to be 8/9 inches you can keep this branch at this distance or raise your light higher from the top to monitor your temps and humidity wired digatl probes are more accurate 1 at the basking 1 near the bottom and your humidity gauge in the middle ( make sure your humidity gauge doesn't get sprayed. Your humidity is good . More live plants will help with humidity and also give your guy more privacy and help him feel safe. Do not run a fogger during the day this can lead to respiratory problems. If you cannot afford a mister at present can and do you have time to manually spray your enclosure say before lights on for a couple of minutes and set up a dripper running during the day? . So to answer your question imo I would put your heat light back right and your uvb in front but really it's about getting your branches and distance to them to get the right basking temp and uvb level that really matter . Sorry for the long reply 😅

You

Attachments

• 20210812_173656.jpg
    20210812_173656.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 69
Hi and welcome so going to try and give feed back . Supplements so you will want to give a calcium phosphorus free no d3 every feed then say 1st and 16th say repti vite multivitamin +d3 . Imo lower basking temp to 85f you will want to add more branches as there is is not enough to make the most of the space in your enclosure the branch below your uvb will need to be 8/9 inches you can keep this branch at this distance or raise your light higher from the top to monitor your temps and humidity wired digatl probes are more accurate 1 at the basking 1 near the bottom and your humidity gauge in the middle ( make sure your humidity gauge doesn't get sprayed. Your humidity is good . More live plants will help with humidity and also give your guy more privacy and help him feel safe. Do not run a fogger during the day this can lead to respiratory problems. If you cannot afford a mister at present can and do you have time to manually spray your enclosure say before lights on for a couple of minutes and set up a dripper running during the day? . So to answer your question imo I would put your heat light back right and your uvb in front but really it's about getting your branches and distance to them to get the right basking temp and uvb level that really matter . Sorry for the long reply 😅
Thank you all good info!

What I do is I place my uvb right over basking branch 8-9 inches above it then I take my basking light and tip it up so it leans on my uvb light a little so my guy is getting both the uvb and the basking lights at the same time. I’d show you a pic of what I mean but it’s dark here right now so I can’t.
also if you dont mind can you send pictures of it when its light?

Also I would consider dragon strand ledges. As your guy can climb those chains which he is getting into higher temperatures and uv levels

Chams are intelligent trust Me he will go to where he needs to get what he needs . We all stress but if you have your temps ,humidity ( without a fogger during the day) stick up a dripper to make sure he's getting enough water ( an iv drip line is a good thing to control drip rate and as Linda said cover back and sides to keep humidity levels correct supplements , gutload. I would add as mentioned more branches to maximise your enclosure for physical and mental stimulation and more live plants

i just rest the brim of it on the uvb and that won’t hurt it. I’ll take a picture tomorrow and post it here so you can see what I mean.

also more about the uvb placement I placed it near the front of the cage and the basking lamp over the basking branch, my problem is the uvb is directly over the basking branch but I can't fit both right about the basking branch, is he still going to get uvb?
No, You have to have a distance of 8-9 inches to a branch below that uvb. Right now he is not getting any exposure to UVB. The ropes are really dangerous and should be replaced. They can get their nails caught in them, they move, and they can hold bacteria. Look at ways to lock in branches. You might need to go to the hardware store and get some metal supports to hook into the wood frame so that you can zip tie branches in place.

also more about the uvb placement I placed it near the front of the cage and the basking lamp over the basking branch, my problem is the uvb is directly over the basking branch but I can't fit both right about the basking branch, is he still going to get uvb?
So if you look at the charts the light is cast in a cone. So at the top where the basking branch is if it is more than a couple inches off center there will be far less UVB. Like 3/4 by my measurements. So it is important to have basking in line with UVB.
I hope I explain that ok.

Chams are intelligent trust Me he will go to where he needs to get what he needs . We all stress but if you have your temps ,humidity ( without a fogger during the day) stick up a dripper to make sure he's getting enough water ( an iv drip line is a good thing to control drip rate and as Linda said cover back and sides to keep humidity levels correct supplements , gutload. I would add as mentioned more branches to maximise your enclosure for physical and mental stimulation and more live plants
So this is not 100%. They won’t seek UVB. They will seek the highest branch with bright light. That is why we need to align the lights correctly.
I have observed this in many animals

Here is the picture I took of how I have both uvb and basking light set up right over the basking branch which is 8-9 inches below. I hope this helps! Oh and the cup thats up There as well is my drip system. If you set the cup right on the screen the drips won’t go through but if you can some how lift it a little off the screen it goes right through. I took a dollar store bin and cut a hole in the bottom, turned it upside down and pushed my cup part way down into it and now it stays upright and the water drips right through the screen.

Attachments

• 5414685A-BEB5-48BF-8ED9-3A72E6FE6693.jpeg
    5414685A-BEB5-48BF-8ED9-3A72E6FE6693.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 70
Here is the picture I took of how I have both uvb and basking light set up right over the basking branch which is 8-9 inches below. I hope this helps! Oh and the cup thats up There as well is my drip system. If you set the cup right on the screen the drips won’t go through but if you can some how lift it a little off the screen it goes right through. I took a dollar store bin and cut a hole in the bottom, turned it upside down and pushed my cup part way down into it and now it stays upright and the water drips right through the screen.
Tries to set it up like that. Is this ok?

So we want to provide a thermal gradient in our enclosure=s but also angling our basking light also provides a heat gradient at basking I believe beman has something similar or the sane placing your heat light on top of your uvb may lead to overheating your uvb .

Attachments

• 20210815_203206.jpg
    20210815_203206.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 55
@CasqueAbove so not 100% so also not 0% I understand what you are saying the highest branch heat vs light when I had my bd,s I used che,s but also directed lights to the same point

By adding live plants we not only increase humidity, improve air quality but also create a light /shade environment not just for a secure safe sleeping place but also an escape from the heat and uvb we provide

Late to the party, sorry (I either haven’t been receiving notifications when I get tagged or they come in a while after I’ve been tagged)! So his feeding amount should be 3 feeders 3 times a week (like Mon, Wed, Fri like you’ve been doing). Are you using mealworms as a staple or for variety/treats? Is your fogger a cool-mist or warm-mist fogger? Since you do have a homemade cage, you'll want to get a Solarmeter 6.5 to make sure the UVI levels in his cage are appropriate! For measuring basking temps, you'll need a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of your cham's back is when he's on his basking branch. It should be 80-85*F there (preferably 80-82*F though). How long is each hand misting, and at what times of day are they? Is your hygrometer digital or analog, and where is it placed? What are your nighttime temps and humidity levels? You don't need to feed your veiled any plants, as they are insectivores. If they do eat plants, it'll be from the cage plants (which is why all plants in a veiled enclosure need to be veiled-tested), not from feeding them. Like others have said, your cage does need some work, and his supplement schedule should be calcium without D3 every feeding, except for one day every two weeks, when you'll use the Reptivite With D3.
Here's some helpful links!

Back
Top Bottom